Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Jessica and Dad's Sanford Adventure

I haven't mentioned my daughter, Jessica, except in a very early post and here. For now, I am not going to post any pics of her, just a little concerned about her exposure on the web. Now I know there are a couple hundred million blogs out there with kids posted on them, her Mom, other Dad and I are just not sure. So for now, no recognizable pics.

But let me describe her. She is 13 years old, as beautiful as her Mom, with a touch of Lee thrown in, long blonde hair, braces, about 4"11 and heading into the 9th grade. She is smart as a whip, has an excellent vocabulary and loves to read. Here favorite subjects this year in school were "well, besides the obvious, reading, I liked Science and Algebra. I liked Spanish too, but it was to easy, you know, with my memory, it was easy for me," she told me matter of factly. She has gotten straight "A"'s her whole academic life and, I know, will get a scholarship to pretty much whatever university she attends.

Maureen, Jessica's mom, and I have known each other since we were kids. It is Maureen's mother referred to here. Anyway, after we split up, since we had been friends our whole life, we stayed friends. We even used the same attorney for the paperwork. There was tension at times but that has passed. A buddy and I even moved her and Jessica from our old home to their new home. It is nice. Maureen, a couple years later, married Rick. Rick is a cool old dude who used to own this cool restaurant down on the water. They are great together and I am happy for all three of them. Jessica calls Rick, Dad, and I have no problem with that.

Maureen is a Speech Pathologist in the school system and Rick is retired.

They moved, for a few years, to northern Virginia so Jessica could be near cousins and have aunts and uncles around. I think after a few years around family, Rick remembered why he moved to Florida in the first place. Plus Rick's two grown children, Jessica's brother and sister, still lived in Naples. It was during this time I moved to Sl-Ocala. They moved back to Naples, but it is way to expensive for this unemployed old construction worker for me to do the same. Hence, my move to the Birthplace of Speed.

Alright, now that that is out of the way.

Yesterday, Monday, Jessica calls me to wish me a Happy Father's Day. Yeah, I know, but she is still a 13 year old after all. Better late than never.

During this conversation, Jessica mentioned they were leaving tomorrow, that would be today, heading to Sanford, Florida to catch the auto train to the DC area for their annual pilgrimage to a family friend's home on Lake Placid and to visit relatives in the DC area. I was excited as Sanford is only 45 minutes away. I asked Jessica if she minded if I came over to see her and maybe have lunch. She was thrilled and said she would love it. I am sure her words had more the four letters, though.

So this morning she calls me about 8:00 am to make sure I am still coming down. You bet.

On the way, while trying to wait out a train stopped on the tracks across International Speedway Boulevard, I looked down a side street and saw this classic old muscle car. Of course I took alot more pics than this, but this is not What I Saw Today.


We hooked up about 11:30 at some big ass mall in Sanford at the Interstate. They, of course, were at Books-A-Million and Jessica jumped in my arms a few minutes later. I wasn't really sure what Maureen and Rick had in mind, as they were on foreign territory also. But they were great. "Just meet us at the auto train station between 1:30 and 2." Sweet and Thanks.

We took off.

As we were driving, Jessica, who previously has expressed no interest whatsoever in cars, often exasporated with over my compassion for them, started talking about how many Ford Mustangs she has on this trip. Something like 14 or so. I was surprised. She then started talking about Maserati Gran Turismo's she has seen around Naples. It was at this time she brought up the Quattroporte referred to here.

It is tough trying to figure out what to do for two hours in a strange town with a 13 year old girl. I asked Jessica what she wanted. "Whatever you want to do, Dad". Alright.

I don't remember having been to the Historic District in Sanford a year or two ago with a good friend who resides in Winter Park, but once I saw these sweet old buildings, I remembered Maria's and my visit.





We parked the 850*, the first place we headed was to the Gallery on First, shown below.
It is a cool, cool place, and I'm not talking about the air conditioning, which was nice also. No this place is working art studio for at least ten different artists. If you get a chance to go there, go there. There is one large common gallery and each artist has their own "cubicle", but way cooler, studio they work in and display their talent. I haven't gone to their website, because I saw it live, but check it out here.


Inside they have this rare old vending machine that is now art. Remember these? This one had the slot on the side where the Wrigley's gum and Life Savers were. You pushed a button for gum or mints, then pulled the handle. It is classic and nicer than I have described.

More art from inside. Couldn't get a pic of the guitar made from Mardi Gras beads.



Out front, just below the windows, a creative, or several creative, artist had taken these objects and inserted them into stucco creating an extremely unique facade to the Gallery on First.










One of the items was an old clip on sunvisor mirror with Buick etched into it. I have one of these, but Pontiac. Got a shot of Jessica in it and she got one of me. That place just reeks of creativity.

Yep, still figuring out the new Polaroid.

With a nod of the head to Cheryl Dunn Lee.

You are not forgotten Commander James Hutton. 10/16/65

With a nod of the head to Jessica's maternal grandfather, Stan Kilfoyle, an electrician at Anheuser Busch in St. Louis, until his untimely passing.

After that gallery, we went to some of the antique stores on First Street. I saw this old stained glass lamp and remembered that old house on Jefferson had one very similar to it. $875.

Of course, Jessica found the used books, and one on Mustangs. I got a pick of her with it. Sadly, I cannot broadcast share it.

The last shop we visited, and stayed the longest in was a used book store. Jessica was in heaven. I had to drag her out of that place in order to get lunch so as not to be late meeting the rest of the family. She protested but was able to pick up a few books for her trip.

As we were walking to the restaurant, she asked me what happened to all the clock towers that used to be in the center of towns. Yet another kid asking me a question I could not answer. I mentioned they may have just been neglected or, possibly demolished as times and tastes change.

We ate at a great place called Two Blondes & a Shrimp. Jessica commented on the name of this place. "Dad, what happens when the owners get old and grey? They will have to rename it." Ah kids.

Well, as it turns out, one is already grey. Don't know about the other. I wanted to sit inside but Jessica did not so we sat in a neat breezeway outside that could have been an old alley between the buildings. I stuck my head inside this historic old building and told those ladies, "I am a tourist, after all." Got the smile you see on their faces. Making someone smile is so much fun.

On our table was this vase of flowers. Jessica said they are her favorite. I didn't know what they are she did, and I had her write it down so I would remember. Alstroemerias, although she pointed out the L is silent. Wonderful.



The floor of this breezeway was done in bricks, real bricks, not pavers.

I wandered away to see about a Marlboro Light, as Jessica, wisely, abhors smoking. I saw these heaters out back. The way they have these chained up, there must be a hot market for used heaters in Sanford.

Over lunch, Jessica shared with me the blandness of the climate in Naples. "Dad it is just hot all the time. I really would like to live in Seattle." Okay, that will suck. I don't get to see her enough now. But we will see as time moves on.

As our time together was nearing an end, we headed off to Amtrak.

On the way, we saw a customized Mustang, like those seen here. It was the last generation Mustang body style. Jessica said "hey Dad, custom car." When I told her it was a Mustang, she just started giggling. It was a moment to remember.

Then to Amtrak.

As we were driving there, Jessica related a story to me. Apparently, there is a new series of books with about the same popularity that Harry Potter started out with. Jessica, of course, has read every one and they are set in Seattle. That gets me to thinking. Anyway, in this book called, if I remember correctly, Trinity, as she relates to me, "Everyone who is worth their----insert unknown adjective here---in Trinity, knows that the main character drives a Volvo S60R and the costar drives a BMW Z3. Well, Dad, they are making a movie of that book and the respective cars are a Volvo S30 and a Mercedes Kompressor. Everyone who loves Trinity is upset with that." There was not enough time to have a discussion about payola and product placement. But the Lee is showing up in that girl!! Hot Damn.

It is pretty wild how the Amtrak Autotrain works.

As a picture is worth a thousand words, here are 7,000. In almost complete reverse order.












Cars for cars on the left, cars for people on the right.



In roll the locomotives.

On the way home, I saw this

and this.


All in All, it was a damn fine day.

Thanks to Mo and Rick for letting this happen. Jess, thanks for helping create some memories for you old man.

Maureen and Rick, as I have told you before, you are doing a great job with Jessica. Thanks.

Jessica, you are a sweety who is going to become a successful woman one day, all too soon. Enjoy your teen years and know that I love you.

Have fun this summer.

No comments: