Wednesday, June 4, 2008

What I Saw Today

As I am getting settled in at my new pad, Ed thought it was time I got to work on one of his projects. So I spent the day installing two new exterior doors at a friend of his, Mary Unmon, home.

I know, I know, all day installing only two doors!!

But the garage service door was a real bitch because when the concrete masons were forming the footer wall around the garage, they formed up the wrong opening for the door. As a result, instead of the builder of the home chipping out that green concrete for a standard 32" door, he (or she) had a custom wood door made to fit the 30" opening. Now, since we all, at least Ed and I, seem to shop the "big box" home supply stores, forget trying to get them to order a 30" exterior door. Getting my sister, Jane, to think rationally is less frustrating and less time consuming.

So, I spent more time chipping out that thirty year old concrete than I did installing that door. I hate it when a builder does that.

It was pretty cool, though. I got to use a cold chisel that is Ed's and looks like it could have been in my Dad's toolbox.

Also, Ed pays me by the project, so I took alot of breaks. It has been a long time since I have seen my old Hispanic friend, Manuel Labor.

So by now, you have got to be thinking What I Saw Today has to be something related to the installation of these doors. Could it be the rotted wooden door, sagging on its hinges? Could it be the Big Ass wasp's nest above this door? Could it be the rusty old door hardware on this door?

Nah. We've all, or as least I have, seen that stuff before and it not all that interesting.

What I Saw Today was a whole lot better.

I had lunch with four beautiful women, by a pool, with an ocean breeze keeping us cool under that umbrella, in the shade of an oak tree. It was wonderful. Delicious salad, with everything under the sun in it, and a killer pastrami, ham, and swiss cheese sandwich. L to R, Mary, Jeanine, Gail and Deb. My apologies to Mary for catching her chowing down.

The following pic of is of Mary fixing my sandwich while chatting with a coworker, to the right, Jeanine. To the left is Deb, Mary's roommate.

It was absolutely wonderful and so not Ocala.

Did I mention I love it here?

1 comment:

mary said...

Hey there....not so sure you're ever gonna know I posted this, as this is such an old entry on your blog, but, I had lost the address to get here, and, lord forbid, I actually google it (which, of course is how I finally got here).....it took me a while peeking through the many entries,but since I sorta knew what I was lookin' for, I had the advantage. (if that's how ya wanna look at it...) Bottom line.... wow! ....and what an inside look into your life. I am not in a position where I can go through and read it all chronologically (which would be my logical route...am I crazy!?) YET... did I say yet? 'Cause I plan to. At any rate, back to reality and my comment on this entry.....it makes me smile remembering this day..beautiful weather, great company, and your positive energy added to the mix unexpectedly....yes, it WAS absolutely wonderful, and oh-so not Ocala...welcome to Ormond Beach ;) peace, Mary