Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ho Ho Ho

I have a very good friend, without benefits, Carri Adam, who lives down in Naples. I have known her for about 14-15 years and she is like my little sister. She is a very beautiful woman, although she can be a bit headstrong at times.

For a long time, Carri worked for the local builder's association, in which I was very involved.

Everyone thought we were involved romantically, to which we both said, "Ew". After I moved on from Naples, we remain friends and I get her extra bedroom when I go down and visit Jessica.



I always get invited to be the token male on Carri's birthday. It is fun, she usually rents a limo, gets a bunch of girlfriends and me together and we hit the town. Carri is pretty well known around town and it turns out to be a blast, with no driving.

Anyway, I have been adopted by her Mom, Judy, and sister, Wendy. Wendy is a stay at home Mom, married to a deputy sheriff and they have a beautiful 2 year old baby girl, Enmarie.

Judy is not married, as is Carri not married. I have become the guy who takes care of the "Honey do" list at their respective households. Hang ceiling fans, install laminate floors, replace a faucet, install a utility sink. Put together Enmarie's little plastic battery operated car she got for Christmas from Carri.

That kind of guy. I enjoy doing it for them.

Ken is equally capable but, as those of us who have lived with a 2 year old, know, his time is limited. We did work together moving Judy into her new place last year. Once as I was walking backward carrying something, I thought hell, Ken should be walking backwards. It's his mother-in-law. I jokingly mentioned this to him and the next time he started to walk backwards but I wouldn't let him. He is a cop after all.

This evening, Carri called me just as my dinner was coming out of the oven. She is having problems at her office and calls to vent. I listened, watching my dinner get cold. Yeah, that kind of friend. She mentioned Wendy reads By The Numbers. I ask Carri what Wendy thought. She mentioned Wendy thought I need to get back to writing about interesting things.

Well, Wendy, with a nod of the head to you.

For some time, Judy has had me join them for Christmas. It is quite nice and I look forward to being in a family like atmosphere for that Holiday. This past year, Judy asked me to dress up as Santa Claus for the now 2 year old Enmarie. Of course, I agreed. I mean what have I got to lose, my dignity? They are family and you just do things for family. That's it.

Now Enmarie's parents know nothing about this.

So Judy came up with a Santa costume and coached me to make some noise upstairs so the excitement will build. At the nod of a head from her, I go upstairs and get dressed. After stomping around and coming down the stairs with hearty "HoHoHo"s announcing my arrival, I turned the corner into the living room.

I can't describe the look on Ken and Wendy's face, but I can describe the look on Enmarie's, she started screaming at the top of her lungs.

Ken and Wendy jumped to save her while I beat it into another room.

After Enmarie settled down, I came back and we all got together for pictures.

This final pic is of me with my four legged nephew, Presley.

Wendy, thanks for following the numbers and I hope this one is more interesting for you.

1 comment:

The CDM said...

Let me know when another "token" is needed when the party starts.