Monday, June 30, 2008

On The Road, By The Numbers, The Fourth and Fifth Days

So I woke Friday morning, just a tad exhausted, and headed over to the Lil Jim and Lil Mom's house to get the youngsters to help me transform that 850* truckster wannabe back into a Volvo sedan, with that table still in the back seat.

On the way, I drove through the Queen City of the Ozarks' downtown and saw this train. I thought it was pretty cool and reminded me of Whitey Herzog, the St. Louis Cardinals manager during my younger days living here in the Ozarks. Pretty good manager and got the Cards in the series several times, losing, though, to the Kansas City Royals in the I-70* World Series.

While in the Ozarks, I always stay with Mike and Pam, aka, thefoamguy and the blonde bombshell. On my way to the youngster's home, I stopped by to see the blonde bombshell, on the slim chance she might be working on a Friday. Of course not, but I did get to see Kim, a real cutie whom I have not seen in a long while. I was surprised, she recognized me immediately. I was flattered.

So on to the youngsters place. Trey was there helping me get those doors unloaded. Austin and Blake, the neighbor's grandson were off putting a model truck I brought up for Lil Jim in the garage. Of course, I had to go chase them down to get back and give us a hand.

These are some good kids. Way to go Lil Jim and Lil Mom.

Of course, I had the youngsters doing the work, with verbal encouragement from this old man. They did a great job.



So, the 850* truckster wannabe is no longer. Now it is back to being, as the jeep junkie says, a luxury car.

As I was putting my stuff back in the car, the two younger youngsters disappeared and Trey hopped on his skateboard. As I was observing Trey's tricks on the quarter pipe he and Big Jim built, Trey mentioned the plywood was wearing out just where he comes down off the pipe. While it needed a new piece of plywood, I was reluctant to get into Big Jim's or Lil Jim's stuff without them there. So I got some duct tape, although this roll was actually called "duck" tape and had Trey patch that wood up, albeit temporarily.

Temporary repair in place.

I went back to Lil Jim's and Lil Mom's to say "Toot a Loo" and head to thefoamguys lake cabin.
Inside, I sat and chatted a bit with Lil Mom's mom and

Austin and Sophie. Lil Mom was off somewhere getting this old man something to drink. Thanks.

On my way out, I could see the repair Trey had done worked.

So I went over to thefoamguys house and we Mario Andretti-ed it on up to Lake Stockton.

Ah, Cabin Carbone.

Mike and I took his gator down to the lake to check on the water level. It seems that this part of the country has no drought problems this year.

As the launch ramp, the parking lot, and even the road to the ramp were underwater, we needed to find an alternate launch spot for the old pontoon Mike owns.

Johntheneighbor showed up while we were out and he was changing the line in his fishing poles. I thought it was something like changing the air in your tires, but apparently not. Johntheneighbor told me the line deteriorates and could break under a strain.

The three of us rode to another launch site and it was to shallow also. The lake is something like 15* feet above regular levels.

Saturday arrived with a clap of thunder and a bolt of lightning. It rained most of the day, finally clearing around 3:30, just as Mark had predicted. We launched that toon and went for a ride, with Johntheneighbor and thefoamguy doing a little fishing. They had a $1 bet between them on the first fish. While johntheneighbor snagged the anchor line,

Mike and Mark looked on.

Then Mike hooked a real fish, although not a keeper.

johntheneighbor paid the foamguy that buck. Apparently, it was the first time in a long time this had occured.

When the blonde bombshell had tired of the ride, Mike pulled that boat out of water with johntheneighbor and Mark looking on. I have conveniently found a close picnic table for this old man to rest his weary bones on.

On the way back to the Cabin Carbone, we saw these, and alot more, sailboats as we were crossing the bridge.

It was a fun couple days and Sunday, it was on to Haven Lee Farm.

No comments: