Tuesday, June 24, 2008

On The Road, By The Numbers

Got On The Road today, now the Numbers:

Number of highways: 20
A1A
1
17-what 17? I'm not supposed to be on 17
oh well, let's take 220
21
218
301
228
10
75
41
7
122
125
32
257
33
230
127

Number of Construction Zones: 3, almost 4, but the workers were pulling down the signs as I went through.

Number of Bottles of Water: 4

Number of Cool Old Jeeps Sighted: 4

Number of Accidents Seen: 1

Number of Times Off Course: 1, but since I really don't have a course, just a destination, this one should slide.

Number of Roadkill: 6

Number of Cop Cars Seen: 5

Number of Miles Traveled: 356

Number of Hours Traveled: 8H15M

Number of Average Gas Mileage: 25, this surprised me as the 850*truckster is pretty loaded down. Means well for me on the return trip, although I have yet to hit any mountains.

Number of Dollars Spent on Petro: $51.40

Number of Dollars Spent on McD's double cheeseburgers: $1

Number of Dollars Spent on Knight's Inn motel: $33.75

Now, On the Road, By The Numbers:

Yesterday, the Kid, who no longer wants to be known as cloudnine, helped me load this table in the 850* for delivery to thehorserancher up in the Ozarks.

In order to do so, we had to take out the front seats of the 850*. Here, the Kid is installing the passenger side bolts. This table and the truckster doors, for the bus, were located at my ministorage unit with a roll up door. Yesterday, when the Kid and I were there, I lifted the door and let loose. It rolled all the way up, as it, almost, always does. This morning, was the exception. I lifted the door up, grabbed a box and walked right into that lowering door. I now have a 2" gash in the middle of my forehead. Great. Twice in two weeks. Just Great. My plans for any type of romantic involvement this road trip just went out the window. It was a bad start of a great day.

Got a pic of the 850*, now a truckster, loaded up this am in front of the condo. Note the trunk gap on the left side? That cooler is just a tad to big for the truck location I had thought it would work in. It fixed itself as that truckster wannabe's load settled during the first few miles.


Got a pic of a few collection pieces which are going to transfer owners this trip.

Got the maps and ashtray ready for use.

Got the trash out for pickup on Wednesday.

I drove down to the beach for a farewell photo but it was closed due to high tide. However, I was able to convince Dave the Beach Guy that all I wanted to do was get on the sand for a photo, not drive down the beach. I told him to look and my car and he could see I was not here to go to the beach. He said okay, just off the pavement. I think he felt sorry for me and my banged up forehead. Yes!! My first interaction with a human today, and it was successful for me!

Pulled over just south of Flagler Beach for the gratuitous beachside shot from A1A*

This is the narrowest part of beachside around Flagler Beach, although you cannot see it in this photo, the bay and the beach are both visible in person.

For Kim and the CDM, the St. Augustine Lighthouse. The one at Ponce Inlet is nicer, although this is as close as I got to either one of them.

Stopped at a light in St. Augustine, I was able to get two modes of public transportation in the same shot.

If you will notice in the following picture, it is fairly easy to get lost in these here parts.

My entire reason for heading to St. Augustine was to take a look at this riverboat.

Actually, it is a car wash located on south US 1*. I parked across the street, shot this pic and that was as close as I got. But, it got better. I had inadvertantly stopped at an artist's studio. Not just any studio, but a concrete carver's studio. Noone was around but I got a few pics of her work.




I then looked beyond her outdoor studio and saw a working marina and this old CJ5*. Of course, I had to take a closer look, if only for the Kid. But I know the jeep junkie will enjoy these also.

The wheels and tires could go but the body is in really nice shape, with the only rust I could see in the tailgate area.







Some dude rode up on a crotch rocket and said he knew the guy who owned it and it was a daily driver. I don't know, as you can see in one of those pics, the left hood latch is released. I thought about getting ahold of the owner to see if that seat is for sale, but I then thought, you have no room to put it in the truckster. At least now, though, I know what the back seat looks like.

Anyway, back On The Road. Prior to leaving the Birthplace of Speed, I had tried to locate a replacement globe for my Coleman lantern. You know me, I got one of the old ones and Wally World doesn't carry them, and apparently no place else in Ormond Beach either. I was told at one place I looked to check the Outlet Mall in St. Augustine. There is a Coleman outlet store there. So I googled it and found it, but neglected to write the name down, just remembered what highway at the I-95* intersection it was at.

Well, at the corner of SR16* and I-95*, there are two huge outlet malls. The first one I arrived at, I went inside. Yes!! The store was there. I went in thinking I knew what I wanted, I mean, how many different globes can there be? Alot of them. I commented to Jon, the dude helping me out, I should have brought the damn thing in with me. He said go get it and I did. We found what I needed and got to shooting the bull. I told him what I was doing and he seemed pretty interested. He told me Coleman is sponsoring a couple guys to hit the highest point in the 50* states in 50* days. Shit! Where was I when that interview was going on? Jon told me I could find it at coleman.com, look for the 50* in 50* link or Mike Haugen link. Haven't done so yet but will prior to retirement this evening.

I then got back on the road, got lost, got found and was driving along 16* at the Green Cove Springs airport. On my left, I noticed 3* older military Jeeps in a National Guard fenced lot. Of course, whipped a Uee and went back for these pics.

The first one is a CJ6*, although I know there is some military jargon for it, and as it is USMC, it is probably different than if US Army. This one is set up as an ambulance. While not a real jeep afficionado, I would love to have this in my livery.





Another back seat to remember for the ole CJ5*









I saw my first accident On The Road in that same town. Really, a minor fender bender, no injuries. Incidentally, it was at a McD's in Green Cove Springs, the, rare, cute girl at McD's told me Mr. Pibb was invented prior to Dr. Pepper. I don't really think so, but who argues with cute girls who are talking with you, even with two BandAids on your forehead?

Saw this old Lincoln behind Coleman's repair shop.

As well as this 1928*, if I remember correctly, Plymouth. It says what it is on the tire cover.

Shortly after this, I was On The Road, traveling through some pretty heavily forested countryside, out in the middle of nowhere, when all of the sudden, the entire left side of the countryside was cleared and I could see a huge industrial looking structure up on the left. I slowed down and could not figure out what it was. I pulled into a little dirt road to peer over the berm and saw a huge dredge floating in a newly created lake. One of the dudes working there drove up and I walked over. I asked this Cracker what they were building? He said we ain't building, we is mining. I ask what and he told me the name of a few minerals, don't remember, don't really care. But they are for automotive paints. I asked him if I could take a couple pics and he, honest to God, said to me, "Son, do you know you are on private property?" I said, sorry about that and beat it the hell out of there. It wasn't that ominous but I bolted. Just down the road a piece was a banner proclaiming http://www.florida.dupont.com/. I wonder if Jeff Gordon, everyone do the obligatory spit, would have received the same treatment.

As I had been driving for 4* hours and traveled 142* miles, and I was at I-10*, I thought I would jump on it and then get on I-75* and get into Georgia. The first 142* miles, 4* hours, the next 100*, 90* minutes.

So I had gotten into Georgia, and was just north of Valdosta. I had noticed US 41* runs parallel to I-75* for the next few hundred miles. I decided to get off the Interstate and drive 41* to see what I could see.

After driving a few miles through agricultural farmland, I was thinking, hell I could see all of this from the I-75*. Then I came across this 1/2way Jacked Up Truck. I Ueed around to get this pic

and saw all of these just down the street from where that truck was parked.

Looks to me to be an old 65* or so Comet.

Look at this old econoline van with the chopped roof. It appeared to be a parade vehicle as the lettering on the lower parts says "the adel delegation", and it seemed to be in rather good shape, from this distance.

Behind that container, stacked up are a mid 60's* MOPAR coupe and, an of the same era, Mercury coupe, of the same body style Steve McGarrett drove on Hawaii 5-0*.

An old Imperial.

Ford Sedan Delivery, 53*, I think.

Another old Ford post sedan.

There is a mid 50's* Pontiac sedan, my 1959* Plymouth Suburban Longroof and a 62* or 63* Chevy.

An early 60's* Ford sedan and a couple Mustangs.

I would love to know what is in those woods beyond that old Dodge pickup.

The front of my old suburban longroof.

A panaramic view. At least they saved the good old stuff.

Saw this old Dodge and thought the bus might like a view of it.

An old F-1* for the horse farmer

A 67* Lincoln Continental.

I sure am glad Lady Bird Johnson's Highway Beautification Project of the 1960's missed Adel Georgia.

Drove down 41* a bit and spotted these old trucks in the woods on the side of the road. This one is an International.

And an old Ford Cabover.

Lest you think all I think about is cars, I saw this cool old theatre and stopped and got a shot of it.

Then, of course, back to the cars and trucks.

No seat, no gas cap, no stories.

As I was driving along, I got to thinking about agriculture and remembering those Days Down on the Farm and I come upon the following.

No, it's not an INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER, it's a John Deere.

A bit further along, I came across the adel delegations starter vehicle.

And with a Nod of The Head to Jessica, A Clock Tower.

While stopped for petro near the end of the day, Billy came driving up in his Bug. I asked him if minded if I got a couple pics and he was all excited. "Heck no, young man, I am proud of it". I told him he should be.

1966*, all original.

Even the key.

Headed back toward the interstate and boogied up another 30* miles to the cheap Knight's Inn motel in Perry, Georgia. Gotta love the interstate coupons. I know I do or else I would be camping tonite.

There were a ton of other things I saw but realized I just couldn't stop and see everything. Like the mid 80*'s mint Coupe deVille, 68* Newport ragtop with the top down under the carport, 70* Torino, 62* Belair, a 68* Ford Galaxie Sedan in the middle of a field, with a Clark forklift sitting next to it. Maybe I should have stopped for that one.

That's it for this post. Long day, my forehead hurts and I am gonna get good use out of that kingsizebed sitting right here next to me.

Oh, incidentally, should anyone want to know, in Tifton, Georgia, US41* is called Love Avenue.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Good post Uncle John! I can't wait to see you!

The CDM said...

More shameless photos of Ponce Inlet?!?! NOT COOL!

Man, I got the time, just not the funds. I'd be there in a heart beat and climb the fence outside of Daytona.(I have a picture of me doing that very thing on 9-11).

Anonymous said...

i was wondering if you were ever gona sell the suburban if so email me at wetzelzac@yahoo.com