Sunday, June 8, 2008

What I Saw Today

As I was headed home, driving down A1A today, pretty near where I saw those plumbers take off last week, I spotted this in the parking lot of the Family Dollar, about 3 blocks from my house.

As I had not seen anything really cool driving around, and I didn't want to resort to the web for my post, although, yesterday, the bus posted some really cool illustrations of old longroofs he found on the web for me. I went to that site and it is awesome. If old illustrated advertisements interest you at all, you should check it out. You can find it here.

This is what I saw.

It is a 1934 Plymouth 2 door sedan. After I had taken these images, the owner came walking up and I told him about by the numbers and asked if I could post these pics. He said, "Why would I care? What is your URL, I'll check it out?" After finding a writing instrument and paper, I wrote it down and gave it to him.

As a digression, when I came home today, I found that old business card stock I have, looked all over, and found it in the last place I looked. As always. I am just glad I am not yet senile enough to have kept looking. Yeah, I know, cheap humor, but I am unemployed and can't really afford to buy any. But I printed up a bunch of cards with my URL on it so I don't feel so stupid in further occurences of this type.

It seems this car guy was down here on vacation and, on a fluke, picked up Saturday's copy of the Daytona Beach News Journal, "just to see what was available". He found this car, called the guy, told him he was heading home on Sunday, today, and could he come look at the car? Of course, the guy, who couldn't wait to get rid of what was to him now an unfinished project, once full of hope and expectation, said yes and that 34 tudor now has a new owner. Never did find out the transaction price.

The new buyer is from South Carolina and plans to street rod it. Pity, but it's not my vehicle. Turns out he bought a 50 Chevy convertible

some years ago at the Turkey Rod Run. Seems it was the first one he had seen. Not so rare to me, I wish I had been the seller in that instance. Anyway, he, thankfully restored this one to bone stock and "sold it for a bundle".

I did ask him what his wife said and he told me she merely said, "Whatever keeps you happy."

I wished I had asked if she had a single sister.

Moving on, I am trying to get more interesting pictures, when the opportunity presents itself, rather than jacked up truck and the end of driveway or a tug boat a half a mile away. The zoom on the old sony is kapuut and not worth getting it fixed, and a new digital is, obviously, out of the question.

I do love this old hubcap and this beast has all four. As this is going to get street rod wheels and tires, I should have asked for one, it would make great wall art in my new place.

Obviously, this is a flathead six. Look at the size that thing!


All of the missing body panels not seen here are inside the car.

I love the ingenuity of the gas cap.

I think this emblem is cool. I never knew Plymouth was named for a ship, but, yet another useless piece of automobilia is added to my memories.

There are no shocks on this car, just these springs. I was surprised to see this. Maybe they had been removed for the renovation? Don't know and forgot to ask. In the future, I will carry a notepad for when I find What I Saw Today.

This is a glass fuel filter I was talking about here.

All those missing body panels, plus both headlights, but where is the steering column? I don't think it really matters, I am sure this future street rod will have a late model one installed. Hope it is a MOPAR.

When I saw this oil bath filter, I remembered when Ed, James, and I encountered our first one on James old CJ5




I asked Ed how it worked and he said he didn't know. James said, "Dad, just take it apart"---that kid is a true Lee---we did and now, all three of us know how they work.


This is me, doing what I do best when Ed is working on cars.

This body has, evidently, had some serious work to it previously. It is gonna take a lotta work to get that curve correct. Hope I see this at the Turkey Rod Run in the future.


The experience reminded me of the old Model "A" my dad had back in the late 60's. I guess RGL instilled a sense of car guy in all of us boys.

4 comments:

Busplunge said...

John, the ship is the Mayflower, which landed at Plymouth Rock. Oil bath air filters, the bus has one, as does the the old blue one ton.

That Model A ford in the picture! It was red with yellow wheels. The Lakey family's Mother gave it to Dad to give to Bob, Tom and I. I drove it to St. Agnes for a while, I think Dad eventually traded it for a cow.

longrooffan said...

I know I have seen a bath oil filter before, I think Moo's 53 Desoto had one, but we had never opened one up.

Good to know about the Mayflower.

And I now remember, thanks to you, Dad traded that Model A to Tom Tipton, the guy who leased Haven Lee Farm pasture for his cows when dad bought it, for a black angus bull who eventually got struck by lightning in Dad's field.

Thanks for the memory jog.

Anonymous said...

John, we saw this old car coming back from softball yesterday driving down Granada Blvd...James and I commented on "what we saw today"...even tried to get a photo of it for you...but by the time the camara came out...it was behind us...good job on getting the story...makes it even better...

Anonymous said...

on the way to taylors softball dad and i saw an old buick longroof, purple. it wasnt "press tight", as dad would say because it was missing the c in BUI K. i wish we could have got a pic.
P.S. nice pics of the JEEP