Thursday, December 18, 2008

What I Saw Today

or CJwannabe.

I had a tough time deciding on the name of this post. Ya see, earlier this year, the Bus bought an old CJ2A and needed some parts for it. I blogged about thejeepjunkie and the Bus working on it here. As it turns out, the Bus needed quite a few, relatively, rare parts for that new toy his private RN let him acquire. Ya know, stuff like a snorkle, oil bath filter, seat frames. Yeah, standard, everyday, garden variety parts, although for a 1947 Jeep CJ2A.

Well, as it turns out, in a community, a mere three hour round trip from the Birthplace of Speed--at least in the olestationbus--two hours in anything modern--resides the Original Jeep Junkie, Grampa George, affectionately named by the Kid. He collects old military Jeeps and has a vast knowledge of all types of these babies.

So, once again, I am destined to being a parts hauler for the Bus. This time, though, I would not be hauling Cushman Truckster doors in my 850trucksterwannabe. You can find the details of that here. Click here and here for more images. The first one is my favorite. Those youngsters will provide me with fond memories for the rest of my life.

So much for the prologue and now for the story.

thejeepjunkie called me earlier this week and asked if I could get over to that town of Azaleas and pick up the parts the Bus needed for his CJ. Well, hell, do I have anything better to do? As I feel, when you can assist anyone, especially automotive related, and double that when family is involved, you do it.

I have been having a bit of trouble sleeping the night through recently, and the same happened to me last night. To bed around 11, woke up at 2:30 and tossed and turned til 6. Finally woke up about 10 this morning. With what is going on in my life right now, I wonder why I have trouble getting back to sleep?

Anyway...I digress.

So I got On The Road about 11. Made that boring drive across the flatlands that are central Florida and arrived around 1.

thejeepjunkie, in one of his transactions with Jeeps over the past year, acquired a set of hard metal doors and a rear door from, what Grampa George says and who am I to argue, a postal Jeep. thejeepjunkie told me to take them over to Grampa George and trade them for some of the Bus's stuff.

Hence the cunundum over the title of this post. Much like those truckster doors, you can see those Jeep doors in the back of my olestationbus in the image below, along with requisite beach chair to the left and the beach towel on the doghouse.

Now on the way to Grampa George's place, I missed a turn but turned a little ways down and got back on track. I love having a sixth Geographic sense. On this route, I saw this cool old Forward Control Jeep Pickup.

Other than my old black Cherokee, this would be the only mass produced Jeep I would want. Maybe this one or this one, but as I understand it, very few were made and are probably out of my reach.

Needlesstosay, the rocket on the top of this would have to go, and "Strictly Stock Please".

Now, as I was driving up to Grampa George's yard, I thought how ridiculous my stop was to take some images of that poster FC in front of that Army Supply store. I was going to be immersed into two and half hours of Jeep education, none of which has fully sunk into this ole longrooffan.

While alot of the stuff Grampa George has is of the junkyard variety, he does have a couple nice pieces. This WWII weapons carrier was Parade Quality, although it appeared to me the paint was about 1/4" thick.

But, as I mentioned, most of his stuff is of the junkyard variety.

With the many body parts he has floating around, his interest in those doors was relatively insignificant.

He does, however, have this beauty parked in his shop. I am pretty sure it is a CJ3A, a rare model produced only a few years. Completely restored and absolutely beautiful.

We found most of the parts the Bus needed in his yard in the many school buses and freight containers located there.

However, we needed to head over to the "boneyard" to find the seat brackets for that front seat frame headed up to the Bus this weekend. We also were looking for a crossover pipe, but, alas, were unsuccessful in that attempt. Seems they are a rather rare piece and locating one is A Great Find. Sorry to let you down on that one, Bus.

Based on the next few images, and the one above, you could easily think the olestationbus was among friends in this yard. The only exception to this thought is the one where I got in that olestationbus, started her up, and drove her home.

Sadly, these cars are in their final resting place, with the exception of a few parts. This is a classic MGB GT slowly rusting away. So sad, a rare car and a great performer, if you discount the wiring and the oil leaks, and of course the propensity toward rusting away at the mere mention of salt or sand.

This one is a Chrysler New Yorker coupe and, no, it is not a low rider, the wheels have sunk into that sandy earth over the years. While four door sedans were quite common in the mid 60's, the coupe is actually much desired.

This is a Dodge pickup cab, the same vintage as Not So Lil Jim's old Army truck. I only shot this as I thought it was funny and it could be part of a scale model diorama.

A couple rusting away CJ's.

I told you that olestationbus looked right at home in this environ. But I am sure she was a bit concerned I might abandon her there. Well I can tell you, there is not a chance of that!!


Another CJ with an early 70's Barracuda rotting away behind it on the right and a mid 70's Lincoln doing the same on the left.


And more CJ's to the left and to the right.

Off in the distance, I spotted the following.

It is a coachbuilt Pontiac Hearse, I would put it at about a 69 Bonneville. Not much rust but the vinyl top was shot.



And although the western sun was insistent on providing glare on the front wheel cover on this superlongroof, I can attest to the fact it was stolen from a close cousin, a Buick.

Oh, and a for quick read about hearses, go here. Bonus points for anyone who can identify what that woman, about 1/2 way through the video, is saying. I listened twice. Forget it.


On the way out, I saw this late 60's Ford Cortina. The earlier model was quite a rally race car. This one was in an odd location, remote central Florida, for this rare, here in the States, English product.

And, of course, for the Tony Stewart Fans out there.

On the way home, I saw this Mercury Bobcat, basically a rebadged Ford Pinto, perched up on the stand in front of a salvage yard just north of here on US 1. According to Classic Motorsports Magazine, a rare thriving print publication based out of Ormond Beach, this yard regularly changes their signature car. Last month it was an old Nash American. I must go up in January and see what it is then.

So, that's What I Saw Today.

theolestationbus, with those truckster style doors transformed into

a CJwannabe, complete with seats and frames, wheels and oilbath filters.

Oh, Sorry Bus, that rear seat, according to thejeepjunkie, is out of a YJ, the only one Grampa George had, and it is staying with the Kid's CJ. But I am glad you are happy with the stuff I was able to gather up for ya and, know, I will miss your fun times over Christmas Week.

Finally, as I was heading out for Grampa George's place, I saw a Celebrate Life magnet on the rear of a Lexus SUV. Hot Dog!!

Celebrate Life and Celebrate The Old Car Life!!

4 comments:

The CDM said...

I'd take that Jeep truck any day of the week and twice on Sunday. That would be an absolute blast in the snow.

Also diggin' the indy dish mags on the bobcat. I had some of those on my old Chevy Luv.

Horse-farmer said...

What was the price tag on that ole Jeep cabover pickup????
Now that the Barngoddess1 has her little 66 Bronc, I may be looking for a toy for me.

YEAH........
loved the tour, great place to visit if I ever get to the birthplace of speed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words about Classic Motorsports. Your pix would be perfect for our Ran When Parked section: http://classicmotorsports.net/ran-when-parked/

Busplunge said...

John, I almost fell into a bidding war on ebay for a CJ2A seat (that jeep restored is a CJ3B, high hood), I bid up to $255.00 and it went for $300.00 not including shipping. See it here

Repo ones are about $210 plus cushions and shipping.

I told Trey I would make him and Austin seats---two milk crates and two pillows.....hey, that's an idea for the old longroof falcon!

Jim