Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Day On The Five Acre Dream

My niece, Sara, and her husband, Daniel, have a ranchette out in Halltown, Missouri, the home of the original Haven Lee Farm. You can read about a day in Life on Haven Lee Farms here and here and here.

Well, apparently, Sara and Daniel needed some fence built on this ranch to accommodate their growing herd of equine livestock. In the past few days a number of emails have crossed these tubes to discuss the installation of this fencing. I have chosen to stay out of this fracus as I have not built fence in over 30 years and I am, quite frankly, out of the loop as to current methods of achieving these results.

But I do know this. It was a helluva lot easier to do back then. Basically, TheGentlemanFarmer told thefuturejeepjunkie and thefuturelongrooffan to head out to the field and dig those postholes, with a manual posthole digger.

Now to fully appreciate this blog, you need to head over to thehorsefarmer's blog about his fence post installation over at The Five Acre Dream. You can get there here.

Ya gotta go there to get the rest of this blog. Okay? Go check it out, I will be here when you return.

So now you are back

thehorsefarmer's story has a few holes in it and I will point them out. After all, we shouldn't accept something just because it sounds plausible. I mean there are counter theories for everything out there. And with no photos, I am sceptical of this actual occurence.

But I trust my big brothers and offer only the following comments.

Now, if you have, in fact, checked out thehorsefarmer's blog, I submit the following:

First of all,

Great Job on the placement of the Celebrate Life magnets. By the way, you and Dirt Sister, you are going to kick my butt in the sales aspect of these.

Proceeding on in order of your blog:

Only some of us Lee's forget directions. As a matter of fact, thejeepjunkie, in Central Mississippi, called the oleragtop to check on weather conditions near Graceland to see how long the Sungoddess would have to drive through that rainstorm. Myself, I tend to always have an atlas handy and, with my laptop and cellular hookup, I can always log on and find out where I am via google maps and weather.com. Remember that thunderstorm when I was On The Road In The Longroof? At least one of the Lee's have a sixth sense of Geography.

You mentioned you put a heel print where the posts in Sara's field where the post were to go. How did you manage to dig a heel print in that frozen ass ground?

Later, you mentioned you instructed Sara and Dan on the ins and outs of how to install those fence posts. What level did they use to install those? I think my fingerprints are on that level.

And that old tamper for tamping the ground down around those posts? I think my fingerprints are on the handle of that old tamper, also. Along with thejeepjunkie and The Gentleman Farmer!

You also mention I would be jealous of ya'll on this day of installing that fence? What? Are you crazy? Me: cruising down the state of Florida in 80 degree weather in the oleragtop, topless. You: 35 degrees building fence? Yep....you are crazy.

Are you telling me that digging 6 fence post holes, with an automated, tractor driven posthole digger in one hour is "working hard"?

And finally, BBB never goes into weather less than 75 degrees!!

But all in all horsefarmer, you are correct. It sounds like fun. I would love to be there, Budweiser mug in hand, leather gloves on for protection in case I need to hand you a hammer, holding that level for Sara and Dan, and sitting under that beach umbrella out in that Haven Lee Farmette field.

Have Fun Ya'll!!

1 comment:

Horse-farmer said...

Now I know for a fact that you would not have been under that beach umbrella.....

YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FRONT OF THE BUS'S BIG TRUCK WITH THE BARNGODDESS1 STAYING WARM....

end of story

A few minor points, when you have the boots that I have, making a mark in the ground is no chore;
Did I forget to tell you that the Bus and I had NOT ONE light experience, nor a Bud experience during the whole affair..........
Good blog John,
enjoyed it
especially the roof down, 85 degree weather.
Sunday morning, 10 degrees here with a wind out of the north making it about 0 degrees. Went out and fed the critters, ensured plenty of de-iced water was available, gave #9 (cow that is) his penicillin shot and came back in. The dogs are barking just to stay warm.
My beard and mustache are frozen and I'm afraid to touch them... oh well, just stripped and jumped intothe hot tub. Now nice and warm and reading the papers.
later
tom