Thursday, December 18, 2008

Have A Holly Jolly Christmas

So the Christmas Holidays are upon us.

This year has not really been a great one for me, unless you count getting to know a bunch of my family , having an adventure with my daughter, having a couple fantastic road trips--along with memories of others, getting to live near my closest brother for the first time in a couple decades, seeing those plumbers take off to fix the Universe's most expensive toilet, scaring the hell out of a two year old girl, experiencing a couple near hurricanes, and the fun experience of moving to a new town--sorry no real link here--- and of course, starting this blog.

If you have been Counting Along With Me, you have probably figured out I am a "glass is 1/2 full" kind of guy. I believe I am considerate of others, well, more so in the last 20 years or so, and, I hope, God is keeping an eye on me.

A couple bummers have been dealt me this year. My Mom passed. While I don't take this lightly, I believe that Her Time Had Come. Mary Lou lived an eventful life. 79 years old, 10 kids, 15 grandkids and a ton of Lunch Bunch Friends. I also lost my job in the construction industry. Those are the only two downspots I had this year. As Mom was advanced in age and not in the greatest health, it may not have been such a bad thing. After all, she is hanging out with all of her family and friends wherever it is we go after this time here. As far as my career in construction, I alway knew it was cyclical, but didn't realize the downside was down there with the Titantic.

Having said that, this year I continued with my tradition of sending snailmail Christmas cards. I caught Hell from both thejeepjunkie and Carri for this. "You don't have a job and you are sending out Christmas cards? What the Hell are you thinking?" Well, without seeming to be cheap, I got a helluva deal on the cards at BigLots and the stamps, well, less than 1o bucks sent all of them out. I mean, regardless of the circumstances, you still have to live your life and make adjustments accordingly. So I don't go out to eat much---read never--anymore, I do believe you have to maintain some things, just to make sure you are still alive.

So, in an effort to maintain some semblance of normalcy, I decided to put up a Christmas tree. You can see an image of it below. It sure cheers me up to see it!!

I just wish I had measured the ceiling height before buying this sucker. And I hope Santa brings me the following.

Now, just to let those of you Counting Along With Me, I did not actually put up this 50's era tree but I did see that Space Invader's full console video game along the side of the road, merely two blocks from the Taj Mahal.

The extent of the olelongrooffan's Christmas decorations this year?

Yepe, that's all Folks.

thanks for the tree shot to Charles Phoenix

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's three major hits this year. Death, Job Loss, and Moving. Good to hear that you are reflecting on the bright spots.

Merry Christmas!

Horse-farmer said...

Ah hell .... you got to drink the good stuff at the Farm doing the Coup D'Chicken thing. And the truckster wanta be actually got some good old Missouri horse & cow manure on its never touch dirt tires.

It has been a good year, even with the downs, and I'm am proud to say I've gotten to know you a little better.
Have fun down there in the warm warm weather while the Jeep is up here in 17 degree weather.