Saturday, December 27, 2008

On The Road, In The oleragtop

I spent all day yesterday recovering from the nightmares I had Christmas night about Carri's new roommate, cleaning six years of accumulated lint out of her dryer vent pipe, replacing the kick panel on her lanai screen door and visiting with my daughter, Jessica.

So, this morning, I got in the oleragtop for the ride home. I spent the first 45 minutes on I-75 to get up to North Fort Myers, then I cut off on surface roads for the remainder of my trip.

The first thing I spotted was a bunch of beekeepers out in this field near the

I thought that was pretty cool.

Now I have posted about flatlands several times previously, and spent about 90 minutes crossing them again.

I did see this swamp buggy for sale at one farm out there in the boondocks.

I also saw this

a huge concrete, I presume-this is as close as I got-Charlois bull. The field behind that shed in the background was full of them.

I got over to US 27, a divided roadway that runs up the center of the state and I call it the Orange Grove Corridor.

Oranges are everywhere.

And this is the Bok Citrus Tower. Why is it here? I don't know and, more importantly, don't care. I saw another one a hundred miles later On The Road but did not get an image of it.

Although Lake Placid has a nice lake in the center of town,

it is not as big as the one in Sebring.

I did spot this old Spitfire like the Bus used to own.

I liked his, with its British Racing Green paint and wire wheels, better.

And WTF?

And more big animals.

I think they just follow me around.

And why hang a topless mini pickup inside a sceen room? Because I CAN!!!

Also saw this cool old '60 Ford Panel Truck.

It has minor modifications to the drivetrain but the inside had wood paneling on the ceiling and walls. $8,500.

In some town along the way, I noticed this BMW droptop following me with a longhair, hippy looking dude driving and a similarly adorned woman in the passenger seat. An unlikely pair for this ride. When they passed, the driver and I flashed each other the peace sign at the same time. We both started laughing!!

I also spotted this old car. Think it's a Nova? Nope, a mid 70's Pontiac Ventura, a Nova knockoff.

I also saw this old street rod across the street.

I decided to stop and get a cold soda

but not before passing through Washington, D.C.

taking a casual glance at Mount Rushmore

and a quick driveby in New York City.

As has happened to me before, On The Road, my momentum was slowed by a tractor on the highway, and no, it was not an INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER. It was a Kubota.

And another large animal, although this one is mythical.

This is a shot of a paratrooper that I missed totally.

And back to the Home of the World's Most Famous Beach.

All in all, a great trip but I am happy to be back at the Taj Mahal.

Wishing you all a great holiday season and remember to

Celebrate Life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You, Jeepjunkie and Horsefarmer all had interesting roadrips and fun sights to see on your Christmas vacation.

Me, I spent my entire vacation in elastic waist pants eating Russell Stover chocolates and drinking Budweiser while getting beat at checkers by my grandsons!

Celebrate Life!

Bus

Bushwacker said...

Everybody has their own nightmares. It's a good thing you wake up with that. Checking your posts from recent to the oldest are all spectacular. The road looks so clear, you must have good times while driving on that road. You've got a trip passing Washington and Mount Rushmore! Haha


Fender Flares | Bestops | It's All About Car