Saturday, November 15, 2008

Shuttles, Shutters and Silly Shirts

So, as I mentioned in my previous post, it was thejeepjunkie's birthday on Friday, November 14 and he, the Kid and I had planned to meet up to watch the last Space Shuttle's night launch over here, on the East Side, to watch this historic act. It was as historic as we thought it would be.

the Kid and thejeepjunkie showed up about 7:35 pm to travel the three blocks to the beach to check out the 7:55 launch. Earlier, I had missed a call from a great friend to join them at a local beach front hotel to watch the festivities but, inexplainably, that call went straight to voicemail and we missed the opportunity to join that fun bunch at that Beachside hotel. Never the less, I, as always, had fun with the Kid and thejeepjunkie.

So we headed down to the beach trying to find an area where the ambient lighting would not affect our view of the Endeavour's launch.

Of course, when thejeepjunkie and the Kid picked me up, I tossed my Beach Chair in the back of the Kid's oleCJ5 , after all, this oleunemployed construction worker needs a place to sit. Meanwhile thejeepjunkie headed into the Taj Mahal to talk to Mother Nature and I climbed in the front seat of that oleCJ5, declaring to the Kid, 'I ain't ridin' in the back'. the Kid agreed and mentioned he and thejeepjunkie had already talked about that. Upon his return, thejeepjunkie set up my Beach Chair in the back and hung onto the roll bar for that trip. Damn, I wish I had a shot of that.

So we arrive down on the Beach, now understand that you cannot drive on the Beach after dark here but the Kid was able to commandeer a place to park at a local hotel, of course with much encouragement from thejeepjunkie and the longrooffan, after all, we are the Kings of the Create A Parking Spot, photos to come later. So we unloaded the cooler, my chair, the camera and gathered up a whole bunch of memories to come.

My thoughts on the ideal place to watch this launch was on the north end of a vacant beach front lot because the lights of the adjacent hotels would not be intrusive to the flume from the Shuttle.

We, then, arrived at the said vacant lot and thejeepjunkie and the Kid headed up to the vacant lot to check it out. I headed down to the Beach to check out the lighting situation and then up top to that lot and told those Boys. 'Check out the view down here,' and they did. Soon we were all hanging out down on the Beach.

So, I shot several images of this launch. I then realized that all of you counters could see the same, more high quality pics and videos on CNN or FOXNEWS, and, especially when I heard someone shout out "God Bless America", I decided that images, of which I have posted a few, would not be as Great As The Thoughts of Our Citizens of The Event.

Enjoy a few images and then the videos. While not CNN quality, listen to the Kid and thejeepjunkies's interpretation's of the events.








So, ya got the Shuttle inference, the shutter inference is the fact that my digital images, but as TheGentleFarmer would state with his camera pictures, were defined by the timing of the shutters....



Later, the Kid, thejeepjunkie and I returned to the Taj Mahal and I got a great shot of the Father and Son duo, wearing those cool GentleManFarmer inspired shirts....Imagine this, a 16 year old boy/man wearing the same shirt as Dad, and the GentleManFarmer, and having a smile from ear to ear. Love ya Kid. Stay always as you are.


And Thanks for including this oleman in your adventures.

johnjohn

2 comments:

Busplunge said...

nice Tonka fire trucks!

d5thouta5 said...

now only Jim would notice those right off....
it was the kid's idea to wear the shirts....and they did come from Dad....although the sungodess complained when we got ready to leave...the kid told her that it was dark and nobody would notice...
great time witnessing this final act of exploration with you John..