Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Wheel Bearing Experience, So Far

Since the bus and thehorsefarmer both commented about their loss of a wheel bearing in the comments section of my post, What thejeepjunkie Saw Today, I thought I would add mine.

Springfield, Missouri, 66 VW bug, just left Goodyear at Battlefield Mall where they repacked all four wheel bearings. Heading east on Battlefield just past Luster, the left rear wheel passes me by, jumps the median curb and flies about 10 feet in the air and into the lane opposite. Luckily, no on coming traffic.

I had the thing towed back to Goodyear where they claimed "No responsibility". I told them to remove the hubcap and see if there was a cotter pin in there that should have held the nut on the axle, they did. The nut was there but no cotter pin. I got reimbursed for the tow and they fixed that wheel again.

Still remember that over 20 years later.

Not as cool as this wheel bearing loss though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that video too

Did the Jeep Junkie get down there and pick up that tire and wheel to sell on ebay??????


LOL
tom

Lil Jim said...

I borrowed Dad's blue s10 to drive to St Louis to pick up some of Kristins sisters furniture, was going about 80 mph on 44 when the cable that holds the spare under the bed snapped, the spare tire dropped and bounced back up into the bumper making a huge bang. Then the spare rolled along about 70 mph and ended up on the side of the road a couple hundred yards later. No traffic around thank goodness

d5thouta5 said...

No Tom....I pulled both rear wheels out of the axle housing, still attached together mind you, and tossed them into the back of one of my service trucks....bad enough that the school suffered the embarrassment of having a wheel come off in the school house parking lot....then a big parade of undersized tow truck manuvering out of parking lot, then stopping when on street in front of school to re-hook up broken equiptment to tow truck....then slow parade down street in front of school....I gave them a break and just shoved the whole thing back into the axle housing and re-tightened the axle nut....