Saturday, September 27, 2008

What I Saw Today

So while the bus was watching the debate and counting prisoners, the horsefarmer was getting ready for another parade, the jeepjunkie was chasing geckos, the CDM was hammering nails, and the rest of the car world was mourning the death of a great one, I decided I would head over to the Southeastern VW show at our local flea market. I was hoping the Kid would get to go with me, but his little sister has a softball tournament down near Mickey Mouse land and he has to attend with his family. Oh well, hope these pics suffice.

It was pretty well attended, about 75 Veedubs of various vintages.

I like the look of original equipment like the one above and below.

but I also like the one on the right in the below image,

almost as much as I like this vintage old bug.

There were plenty of oval windows there but this is the only full on shot I got.

You may not remember but I saw another rare old notchback on my European Tour through Tennessee On The Road, By The Numbers.



I like the looks of this recent vintage Vanagon.

These were from the Orlando chapter.

I saw this POS Cavalier there, with chrome cladding everywhere. As I said, a POS.

This old tool kit sandwiched into the spare tire was pretty cool, and probably relatively rare.

The full view of that old bug.

Only a couple Karman Ghia's were still around when I arrived. All ragtops though, not a coupe in sight.

And just a few Things.

This triple white Type I was beautiful.

And there were a bunch of these Meyers Manx lookablikes.







My only question is "Why?"

This was cute but I bet it rides rough as hell.

Long board, short bus.



There were several of these Rabbit convertibles around. I still like the lines of these, years later.

And a bunch of cool old, and newer, buses.











Surprisingly, this was the only truck there.

A few parts were to be had. I am glad the seller put "Trunk Lid" on this or else I wouldn't have known what it was.

More recent vintages.



I parked the olestationbus behind this Westie and got a cool thumbs up from these guys.



This is a really cool older Westfalia Camper outfitted with the safari windshields,

As spartan as the olestationbus.

Cool vintage decals.



I had not seen a rear safari window before, and some desirable old coolers.

As I was leaving, I saw this POS in the parking lot. Again, I must ask "Why?".

This buggy is pretty nice. A more modern treatment at the headlights

but around back it had a pair of '65 Mustang taillights.

But modern as could be on the interior.

On the way home, I spotted this truck just outside the Speedway and stopped for a couple shots.

Given the current state of GM's financial stability, I wonder if these will be back for the 2009 season?

And that is What I Saw Today.

3 comments:

The CDM said...

Those old VW's take me back. They were so simple that they were genius. They did however have some shotty pot metal parts and fixtures on a good number of them.

I also agree with you on the lines of those late 80's early 90's Cabrios. If I had one like that AND a diesel...

longrooffan said...

Hey CDM,

You will get your diesel ragtop soon enough...BTW, love the new blog...keep it up...

d5thouta5 said...

it is funny...as the kid and I were driving the family to the softball tournement we spotted several of these old VWs heading east on the 4.....saw the Notch Back and their friends taking a break at the rest area in Orlando....they looked cool as they were all lined up in a row... looked like a little car show right there in the rest area....
talked about the odds of blowing the ball game and returning for the show....you know our decision..