Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Virgin Poll Subject No More

I have taken great liberties to not interject my political leanings in this blog. So many are so much more talented and informed at that, whether for the left or the right.

Although I have not always voted a straight ticket, I have voted Democratic for President since 1980.

When I lived down Naples way, I was registered as a Republican, which got a real kick from my good friend, thefoamguy, a diehard Reagon and Bush "Kick Ass and Gun Toting" Republican, although he knows Jim Lee and has committed his vote to him, based on the knowledge of his capabilities.

The reason for I was a registered Republican is because Florida has a closed primary system, that is if you are not a registered Republican, you cannot vote in the Republican primary. As virtually all of the local Naples candidates were running on the Republican platform, you could have no say in the local County Commissioners unless you could vote in the Republican primary. Hence, my Republican registration at that time. The candidate's structure in both Sl-Ocala and Ormond Beach are much different, here I am a registered Democrat.

Now I must say, these last couple days, on the east coast of central Florida, we have had some pretty serious winds. The surf is up, the weather has cooled, FALL IS COMING, and the time has come to turn off the air conditioning and enjoy that cool, brisk wind.

So, after returning from helping a friend hang some really inventive original illustrations, I opened the windows at the Taj Mahal and let that refreshing seabreeze pass on through. It is quite nice.

So here I am, sitting in front of an open window, catching up on a few posts to my favorite blogs and I hear two people walking down the street, chatting away. I can, almost not, make out their actual words until they pass by the olestationbus. You remember it...

Although not tethered at this time, but given this wind, maybe it should be.

One of the voices says, 'Look at that cool old van'.

Until this time, I really didn't pay much attention to them, but then I really eavesdropped on their conversation. In the front of the olestationbus, I have a card with my name, address and this blog address on it so, if someone is interested, they can check out either this blog or drop me an email.

I hear one of these voices state to the other that 'We should go talk to this guy'.

And they did.

Two women came up to my door and introduced themselves. Now, remember, for the first time since moving to the Birthplace of Speed, I have opened up the windows to my condo and voices travel far when it is quiet around. Remember Uncle Bob and Dad's conversation here?

It turns out these two women, around my age, were out canvassing the area, informing potential voters about Barack Obama and checking on support for him in my neck of the woods.

I must say, I admire these women, and others of their ilk. I have never been so compelled to go up to total stranger's homes and induce them into conversations about their political beliefs. Wish them all the best.

The spokeswoman for the two introduced herself and her partner and asked if I would answer a couple questions.

Now, Counters, this was a first for me. At, next week, 49 years old, I have never been approached by a candidate's representative. As I have had some education in how to speak with the media and general 'journalists' I was eager to have my voice heard but was wary enough to be assured my 'message' was recorded properly.

A few questions came toward me and I indicated that while I have voted on the Democratic Presidental ticket for a long time, this election is a real toss up for me. I just don't know. I follow a bunch of conservative and liberal blogs and don't rely on just the FOX or MSNBC nut cases to influence me. I review everything with a note of scepticism and try to verify all comments and policies.

While the entire time, about 12-15 minutes, I was interviewed, I mentioned I am absolutely undecided about the next leader of the free world, at the end of the interview, the leader of this duo asked me the following.

"Can I put you as a 3L?"

"What does that mean?", I ask.

"On a scale of one to five, you are in the middle, but leaning toward Obama."

"No, I am leaning toward no one and do, respectfully, ask to be recorded as such."

She made some notes, thanked me for my time, and made their way back down the sidewalk without even stopping at my neighbor's homes.

Now, while I realize that Republican pollsters poll upscale gated communities and Democratic pollsters check out middle income neighborhoods, I wonder if that olestationbus had not caught their eye, in the middle of Cadillacs, Corvettes and Camrys, if they would have turned around and come back to the Taj Mahal to ask me those questions.

Love the olestationbus and, Everyone, get out and vote for your favorite candidate, especially, Jim Lee for Circuit Clerk.

2 comments:

Horse-farmer said...

John
they were just looking for a free meal.
horse-farmer

d5thouta5 said...

And John was looking for a date...