Sunday, August 3, 2008

What I Saw Today

To The Rescue

So I got a call from the jeep junkie around an hour ago.

"Whatca doing?"

"Just checking out the net."

"Got a tow strap?"

"No, what's up?"

"These kids got stuck down here on the beach in a Mustang."

"I thought you had a tow rope from Grandpa Jim Dunn."

"Yeah, but I left it at the house."

It seems the jeep junkie and his family are enjoying a day at the beach, just a couple blocks from the Taj Mahal. So, of course, I had to cruise down and check out the hoons. I parked on tera firma and walked down to observe these tourists. I then walked on down the beach to where the jeep junkie had established his outpost. We got to talking and I told him I would run to his pad and get that rope, after all, it will make a good blog.

So I did and returned and the red sticker got me down on that closed beach. The sweet lady working the admission kiosk was more than a little perturbed at those boys for "tearing up my beach". I told her we were to the rescue and she was thankful.

This is what I saw. A couple kids from Sl-Ocala over to enjoy a day on the beach.

I struck up a conversation with them, telling them the jeep junkie is on the way and we'll get you out.

There is the jeep junkie and the Kid to the rescue.

the Kid stood by while the kids and the jeep junkie strap that old Mustang to that old CJ.

I had to step back and get the overall shot seen below.



Taking up the slack.

That old CJ performing its first rescue while under the ownership of the jeep junkie and the Kid.



All went well until that 40 year old rope gave way and the jeep junkie had to hook it up again, under the strict supervision of the Kid.





There is the final shot of the ole CJ, the jeep junkie and the Kid who got those kids from Sl-Ocala out of the sand and on their way.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another day playing in the sand. Typical Lee outing, and did they offer to pay for your efforts? NO
But JJ and Kid had fun. Only time they will really use 4X4 this year.

Why did they close the beach??

Jaycee says hi to James and Uncle Ed and wants to know when they are coming back?
Horse farmer.

Busplunge said...

Yeah, that's what I wanted to know, was that jeep junkie attaching the tow rope to the 'stang? Looks to me like a $100 tow job at least. Unless they were friends of "The Kid" in which case they shoulda known better than to drive on the beach in a Mustang.

Unknown said...

Some folks do things just because it's the right thing to do. Pvt RN

The CDM said...

I never get tired of seeing YET another Mustang getting pulled out of a sticky(or in this case not-enough-sticky) situation.

The CDM said...

John, I'm going to email your brother some photos I took of that spot in Clinton, AR that I told you about. I would post them but there are just TOO MANY PHOTOS for me to sift through right now and I'll be at this all night.

longrooffan said...

No, no money exchanged hands. the jeep junkie let me know that Cheryl was not to happy about him getting involved, this was a "family day" after all. Anyway, the jeep junkie and the kid prevailed and got those kids and their Mustang out of the sand. And I got a good blog out of it.

hey, horse rancher, they close the beach when the high tide is in so hoons like this won't get stuck. The beach Matrons usually let us, now, locals on the beach as we as supposed to know where to drive so as not to get stuck.

And yes, Aux Arc, aka Pvt. RN, these are the things you do. Reverse karma is the clue to making it through life.

CDM, your images are in my inbox, can't wait to see them. Have a great trip and my direct email is longrooffan@aol.com.

Til then. John

d5thouta5 said...

Since it has come up, my bride was the first to inform me that there was somebody stuck on the beach...she even got out of the sun tanning chair to point it out to me...John was outstanding in responding to the call for assistance in retriving the rope...
didn't have a tow rope cause I don't need one...but alas, someone else did...the old jeep performed it's first rescue mission like a champ...let out too much tow rope, but then again I was looking for the longroof for assistance and he was no where to be found... he was busy recording digital images I found out later...of course when we returned to the outpost, the first thing my bride wanted to make sure of was that we had gotten the kids out of the sand...made her happy too I thinks.
and it would have been a 100 dollar tow too...of course didn't see any of that...didn't look for it either...as we got ready to leave the each patrol came by and opened the beach up for travel...I asked the officer how far the beach was open and he said it was open only to 4 wheel drive vehicles..needless to say, we drove home along the beach and the old jeep acted like it was at home the whole way....thanks again for the assist Jon-Jon....

longrooffan said...

hey jeep junkie and the Kid: I can only wish I had the access to the beach you two have...maybe soon..john john

d5thouta5 said...

Jon-Jon...you hang with us and you ahve all the access to the beach you want...if the 850 won't get you there...or the, and I am sorry, the toad won't get you there, you will always have a shotgun in the Jeep...had a great after beach time with you and a better time at the pier under the big bridge...gotta get my bride to call more often...only time I catch big fish is when she calls...
good time hanging with you today and again, thanks for the assist on the beach...great looking van you got and you look like you are having a blast driving it...