Sunday, August 24, 2008

Clarification Corner

A couple or three posts ago, I exerpted some commentary from Peter DeLorenzo over at theautoextremist.com about the Detroit 3 and NASCAR.

As I published this information without his knowledge, although credited, I thought I would drop an email to provide this knowledge to that site.

This is the email I sent:


Your Name or Initials: John
Your Email: longrooffan@aol.com
Hometown: Ormond Beach, Florida

Message: Mr. DeLorenzo:

I am a long time viewer of theautoextremist and wanted to let you know you are spot on with your analysis of the US and worldwide auto industry.

I have searched your site for your copywrite information and reuse policies. To date, I have found none.

I just wanted to let you know I used your August 6 post about the Detroit 3 and NASCAR on my blog.

I did credit you with the content and changed the font so my viewers would know it was your work.

Do you have a copywrite policy for your content? As this is your profession, I felt compelled to ask.

Thank you for your time and I enjoy the fruits of your ability and insight. Thanks for sharing your views with us.

Warmest Regards,

John
www.oleragtop.blogspot.com

theautoextremist response:

Re: Form Submission - Contact AE

John,


In the future, we'd appreciate it if you let us know when you want to use any of our content.

Here's the disclaimer that's on the bottom of every page of Autoextremist.com:

THE UNAUTHORIZED USE OF ANY EDITORIAL OR PHOTOGRAPHIC CONTENT FROM AUTOEXTREMIST.COM WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THE PUBLISHER IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

But thank you for giving Peter and AE proper attribution.

The AE Editors

Upon reading this email, I felt quite bad. I mean this guy and his staff work their butts off providing insight to me and, while I made no attempt to represent their views as my original views, I felt rather bad about even the perception of plagiarism.

About an hour later I got this email from them.

No worries, John...we're cool...you can access our site any time and when it's appropriate for your needs, post some of our content.

Thanks for reading!


The AE Editors

I sure feel alot better about that post.

No comments: