Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Around Town in the Falcon Station Bus

Earlier tonite, the jeep junkie calls me and tells me to come on over to the Mainland and let's replace that brake line on the olestationbus. I am excited as I have already spent the money on it and was looking forward to having the olestationbus road worthy so I can get more enjoyment out of it. As it is, it is alot of work to get around. I realize I could, most likely, fix the dang thing myself, however, I know how much the jeep junkie enjoys doing this kind of stuff.

So I set out.

A little background. While driving my new longroof home from West Texas, somewhere in southern Mississippi or Southern Alabama, or North Florida, it all of the sudden started missing, really bad. It happened once while still in San Antonio but then stopped and I thought no more of it until it happened again, some 800 miles later. Got on the phone with the jeep junkie and he thought it might be the coil. So when I stopped for gas the next time, I asked the cute young lady where an auto parts store might be. About four miles away. So I went out to pump my gas and upon my return, she was on the phone with her Uncle, a Falcon afficionado also. I got on the phone with him and he concurred, sounds like a coil. I asked if he had one and low and behold he had a used one. So I swung by his place and he gave it to me. I then headed out, looking for a shade tree under which to park while I changed out the coil. I found one and set about the repair. While doing this, I tightened one of the nuts on the thing and the old coil just broke. Bummer. So I then set about reinstalling the old one. Got that done after realizing I needed to work on it from the other side of the motor, due to accessibility issues in this sweetheart.

Got it reinstalled and set off. The olestationbus would work fine for 50 or so miles and then go about coughing and sputtering and generally pissing off everybody following me on I-75.

I got back to the Birthplace of Speed and the old girl ran great for quite a while. Then, Sunday, returning to the Taj Mahal after a pleasant afternoon and dinner with the jeep junkie's family, she started acting up again. I made it home, jumped in the 850, and joined the Kid and the jeep junkie fishing down under that bridge I have spoken of previously. While there, I told the jeep junkie to get me a new coil along with that replacement brake line.

That coil came in I and I replaced it yesterday afternoon and the olestationbus behaved perfectly on the short drive around the neighborhood.

Problem solved.

Well, not quite. As I was heading to the Kid's place, the olestationbus started acting up. So much that I pulled off A1A onto a side street to see if she would behave. She did not and the jeep junkie and the Kid came to the rescue for the second time this week.

This was the sight they saw as they pulled up in the old CJ5.

I mean, hey, the olestationbus was facing west and I did not want to sit in the heat of that Ormond Beach sun, so I set up my beach chair in the shade of that olestationbus.

Of course, the jeep junkie and the Kid were all smiles as they drove up. Hell, it's just another adventure and, at least noone got hurt.

the jeep junkie set off to examine the situation after telling the Kid to get a shot with the CJ5 in it also. So he did.

Well, the jeep junkie had brought some majic fluid along and sprayed it into the carb and got her running. He then headed off to his house but we never got off the Beachside. the jeep junkie realized his misdiagnosis and told me I needed a carb rebuild kit. Ordering one from Beachside auto parts tomorrow.

the jeep junkie, driving the olestationbus with the Kid driving the CJ5 headed back to the Taj Mahal, as it was getting late. Less than a mile from home, the jeep junkie ran out of that majic fluid and we towed her on home.

We came inside so the jeep junkie could have a Lite talk with his Bud and we got to chatting it up. I pointed out the olestationbus's license plate on the wall, above the door to my massive walkin closet. the jeep junkie commented I needed to write "63 Falcon Station Bus" on the back.

I commented to him I would always know what that license place came off of as it has '63' in the numbers. the jeep junkie took a look at the license plate, the image is below, and said,

Great 63, Not So Young.

That's it. Another adventure in the Birthplace of Speed with the Kid and the jeep junkie.

Hey Kid and jeep junkie, thanks for coming to the rescue.

Tomorrow, I rebuild a carburator. Probably not a blog there but who knows.

7 comments:

Busplunge said...

Saw it yesterday, three blocks from my house, on Minota, a 1963 panel Falcon van--just like yours without the windows. And a lot more rust. A kid owns it, said it got stolen a while back and he just got it back. (Who'd want to steal that?). He was putting rubber seals in the rear door, said when it rains, it pours.
I told him my brother has the same problem.

Dang, it is one ugly truck!

longrooffan said...

Hey bus:

Yeah, some think it is ugly, the jeep junkie calls it "the toad".

But like an ugly kid, you just gotta love it.

the Kid thinks I look cool driving it, so I guess I'll keep her til something better comes along.

Hopefully, not to soon.

Thanks again to Ganey and you.

John

John

The CDM said...

G63 NSY = Goddam '63 No Smoke Yet?

Anonymous said...

John,
great blog about the adventures.
see if you lived here in Marionville Jaycee could come to your rescue with her 52 Super C.
Have decided to send her Super C to the mechanics and have it rebuilt, then repaint and new decals and make it a show tractor. Found a place that lists all the antique Tractor runs, and Jaycee and I hope to start doing that toooo.
See you later, if not sooner.
Horse farmer

The CDM said...

You know, once that van gets restored, it may not be the A Team van, but B Team perhaps?

I'm just sayin'

longrooffan said...

Hey CDM:

I actually strive to be on the "C" team.

The "Cool" team. Maybe someday I will make it.

d5thouta5 said...

can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon, or an evening, or a day...plenty of cold beverages to keep us motivated...good company to enjoy...lots of fun to have...you sure looked comfortable as the kid and I drove up....the laugh was worth twice the time...what was it your neighbor said?...having trouble, nope, having fun...