Friday, July 25, 2008

On The Road In The Longroof

Hitched a ride with a friend of the jeep junkies to the airport in Mickey Mouse Land and got into San Antonio right on time. Pierre was waiting to pick me up.

Went over and picked up the olefalcon and I am presently eating a Tommy Lee ham and cheese sandwich on semi stale Wally World bread at a rest area on I-10 in central Texas.

Stopped by Wally World for the cheapest set of 5 185/70 R 13 tires. Bought them, went outside to have the boys install them. The first lug nut the guy started to take off, he stripped the threads, and, I bet, he did not use any WD-40 on them at all. He then had me paged and I came on back and got the news that he could not do anything on that olefalcon. I said I understood, got him to blow up my air mattress and went back to shopping for food for this excursion.

I went back out to the olefalcon to bring in the tires to return them, and the dude I bought them from, not a half hour earlier, told me their policy is not to accept returns on tires. I was dumbfounded and tried to talk him into it. No luck. So I now have 5 brand new tires sitting uselessly in the back of that longroof. Oh well.

The Falcon runs greats. All lights, wipers, signals, headlights, lighter and speedo work. The gas gauge does not. So I will be picking up a cheap gas gan on the morrow. Lots of power, well, for a 6 banger, but needs some definite improvements in the brakes and steering. I am sure the thejeepjunkie is already figuring out what we need.

Gonna try to make Houston tonite, about 3 hours at 50 mph.

Anyway, gotta close for now and get back On The Road.

1 comment:

The CDM said...

If you hit Houston, stay away from Westheimer and Montrose...trust me.