Monday, July 7, 2008

On The Road, By The Numbers, Day 13

Back on The Road, Now The Numbers:

Number of Highways Traveled: 11
13
160
176
21
221
62
412
16
327
1206A
7

Number of Bottles of Water Consumed: 5

Number of Road Kill Seen: 7

Number of Tractors Seen on the Road: 4

Number of Cop Cars Seen: 6

Number of Breath Taking Vistas Seen: Uncountable

Number of Works of Mother Nature Seen: 1

Number of Tyson Chicken Production Buildings Seen: Also Uncountable

Number of Miles Traveled: 200

Number of Hours On The Road: 5 1/2

Now, On The Road

After spending 11* wonderful days in the Ozarks with extremely hospitable family and friends, I got back On The Road today, setting off on my return to the Birthplace of Speed.

I will, in the upcoming days, posts blogs on all of the adventures I had with my family and friends. The bus suggests I need to modify the layout of By The Numbers, to make it easier to follow along as sometimes the pics get in the way. As is usual about many, many things, he is correct about this also. However, until I get home and have the opportunity to experiment with that, the original layout will have to suffice.

Now, again, On The Road. Yesterday, I spent a great day on Haven Lee Farm and picked up a bunch of stuff, formerly my Mom's, to be turned over to family members in Florida. At first, I was concerned about all of this crap in this photo, plus my baggage and cooler, fitting in the 850*,

but I was able to get it all in and get out on the road.

Up to this point, I was not all that sure as what the route home would be. However, I got in the car to leave and the 24* hour digital clock on my dashboard said 13:13. As this is my 13th day on the road, I thought it only fitting I take Highway 13. And I did.

There are alot of road cuts on 13*, similar to this one I shot on 65* the other day. Like 65*, 13* is a boulevard so I cut off at Reeds Spring to get a look at the old highway and see how that old town survived the new highway bypass. It has suffered terribly. Even Bass Pro Shops has closed their small store there. The storefronts are mostly boarded up and the remaining buildings house local government offices. This is a sign of total decline of a community, when the government offices are in retail locations, you have real problems. I first recognized this years and years ago when the State of Missouri took over the old Lander's(?) Building on Park Central Square in my hometown, the Queen City of the Ozarks.

Just south of Reeds Spring, there is the compound shown in the following 2* photos.

I remember when this was constructed. My family would travel through Reeds Spring on the way to the lake and watched a significant portion of this being built, less the satellite dishes, of course. Funky wood buildings and remarkable rock walls and scultures. We never could figure out the draw of the area. Apparently, there no longer is one, as this pad is up for sale.

Further along, on Highway 21* in Arkansas, I saw this former longroof. While technically still a wagon, the roof is way to short for me.

Now, I was traveling along Arkansas State Road 21*, heading toward the infamous Highway 7* through central Arkansas. Highway 7* is, literally, world famous. It draws siteseers from around the world, as well as sports car fanatics who love to travel this twistee stretch of highway through the Ozark National Forest. Highway 21* is a more rural version of that roadway, but slower paced and sharing the same vistas.

It is quite beautiful.

Just a quick note about Arkansas State Highway 21*. As the youngsters I spent time with in old blue, down around Rockaway Beach, will tell you, I am pretty good at spotting roadside treasures of a vehicular nature, and getting pics of them. Well as the bus has told me to scale back on the pictures posted and "clean up" my writing, I am not going to post that fuzzy photograph. But, if anyone is interested in an early 60*'s single cab VW truck, I spotted one in a late model pole barn, 1/2 way across a narrow valley, on east side of 21*, just south of the 412* jog, about 2* hours drive south of Springfield.

As I was nearing 7*, I saw this sign and was ready for an adventure. It was a fun, twistee drive, but not all that endearing.

That is until I saw the sign for "Aluminum Cove Natural Bridge". 3 miles down Farm Road 327. Well, I quickly did the Patsy Cline calculation and determined, I needed to head that way. And I did. However, I neglected to factor in the 20* minute each way hike. I wish park designers would put the parking at the bottom of the hill, as opposed to the top.

It is a pretty cool natural bridge, about 2* miles from the intersection of 21* and 7*. Definitely worth the hike. These two are from above and

the following is from below.

So I reached Highway 7*. I must tell you, I enjoyed 13* and 21* more. Slower speeds, more local landmarks, less of a boulevard feel. I mean, I actually saw other cars on this roadway.

I made it the 51 miles to Russelville, Arkansas in just over an hour.

Just north of the city limits sign, I saw this in a lot on the side of 7*. An old Bentley!! Of course, I whipped a Ueee and checked that place out.

It was a sweet old ride and I would guess the vintage at very late 50's* or early 60's*.

I noticed the following and immediately thought of the 250* I saw here.

No, it was not a stray bullet wound by some redneck firing at this classic ole Brit, upon further inspection, I realized it was missing the driver's side exterior mirror. No, this photo is not printed in reverse as was the case here, this old Bentley is a right hand drive and that is the right front fender, where the mirror is supposed to be located.

With a Nod of the Head to the Kid and thejeepjunkie, this Buick hood may be Pressed, but certainly not Pressed Tight.

So I continued to wander around and saw a bunch of cool stuff, including this old scoop, one of which we had on the Halltown Haven Lee Farm. It would be attached to back of that old IH C and we would scoop up washed out gravel and move it back to its original intended location, until the next storm and we would repeat the process all over again. I had forgotten about the existence of that scoop from 35 years ago until that moment.

I saw the body panels for a future Bowtie Street Rod in the same vicinity.

This dude also has some pretty cool old pop coolers and signs.

Around back, there was a field, full of vintage Detroit iron, I would have loved to explore. However, it was nearing 7 and I needed to get on down the road.

Look for more pics of the cars in Jerry's yard in future blogs.


That's it for today. Settled into the $34.23* Value Motel near I-40* and 7* in Russelville, Arkansas. Need to get some idea of my travels together for tomorrow's adventure. Looking forward to it.

To all of you with whom I have been visiting the last week and a half, thanks for all of your thoughtfulness and love. I already miss you unspeakably.

Til then.

3 comments:

Busplunge said...

John,,

I am currently making arrangements to have uniformed representatives of the United States Government personally deliver the Glenmore Whiskey ashtray to your home in Ormond Beach.

I anticipate that the government will send a truck for the ashtray and probably route it through Memphis.

We all enjoyed your visit.

Jim

Anonymous said...

Despite what big brother says: "the bus has told me to scale back on the pictures posted and "clean up" my writing", I love your blog and have bookmarked it to follow your travels.

Be safe.

Lil Jim said...

According to local rumors that house in Reed Spring with all the weird brass sculptures belonged to the mayor of the town, and he got his money in either a logging or car accident (can't remember for sure) to fix up the home and get all those sculptures. A few years ago he and his wife were charged with some crime like transporting a minor across state lines by trying to bring a 15 yr old to their home for illicit activities...