Wednesday, July 9, 2008

On The Road, By The Numbers, Day 15

Another Day On The Road, Now The Numbers

Number of Highways Traveled: 18

35
19
14
15
80
11
20
59
43
69
17
21
231
84
210
10
75
90

Number of Construction Zones: 18

Number of Log Trucks Seen: 24

Number of Cop Cars Seen: Also 24

Number of Red Jeep Cherokees Seen: 2

Number of Cemetaries Seen: 8

Number of Tractors Seen On The Road: 4

Number of Military Vehicles Seen on Civilian Flatbed Semis: 12

Number of Empty Military Flatbed Semis Seen: 4

Number of VW Pickups Seen: 1

Number of Flat Fender CJ's Seen: 2

Number of Military Aircraft Seen In The Air: 2

Number of Military Aircraft Seen Permanently Tethered to the Ground: 4

Number of Miles Driven: 550

Number of Hours Lost Due to Time Change: 1

Number of Hours On The Road: 12h3m, less 1 hour

Number of Dollars Spent on Petrol: $93.67

Number of Gallons This Represents: 24.08

Number of the Price per Gallon: $3.92, $3.84

Number of the Average Miles Per Gallon: 26.2

Now, By The Numbers:

I woke up this morning in the hometown of Oprah Winfrey, at about 7:00am. On this trip, I have been waking around 9-9:30 and getting On The Road about 11 or so and traveling until around 7 or 8.

Well, I can tell you, after not having cell service all day yesterday, I am glad I woke up that early. It seems my sister Carol had been trying to get me and sent me an email to call her. Since in Oprah's birthplace there is no cell service, I emailed her to give me a call at the Ritz Carlton either last night or this am. She did so this morning, luckily she got through, and, understandably so, expressed her amazement and frustration about some rather ridiculous things a couple of my family members are doing. After about 45 minutes or so, thank God she has free long distance, we finished up our conversation. It was good to talk with her again. Then, I jumped in the shower and headed out with great anticipation of this day.

Fellow Counters, let me tell you, central Mississippi and central Alabama are very pretty areas if you like woods and tractors. That is all I saw for the first 6-7* hours or so. I mean it. I can spot a unique treasure from a 1/2 mile and I saw nothing. Now, I must say, I was traveling on 4 lane boulevards through this countryside. You see, my daughter, Jessica, is returning from her big adventure in the Northeast on Friday and will be in Sanford when the auto train arrives and I want to see her there again. Anyway, the real backroads were not for me today. I did the express route and it was boooorrrrrriiiiinnnnggggg. I mean they even painted over the smiley face water tower in Selma, Alabama!!

I left Oprah's birthplace in Central Mississippa at 8:40 this am and I didn't see anything until Montgomery, Alabama about 3:00 pm., well I did see an old 56* Chevy Belair Longroof in a field with an old Corvair Greenbriar but they were on the other side of the interstate and, while noteworthy, I have mentioned before the difficulty of reversing direction on Eisenhour's Defense Highway System.

So I am rolling down 231* just south of Montgomery and see the cool old VW pickup, pictured below, on the opposite side of the road.

As this was merely a divided road with easy turn around points, I whipped a Uee and went back for pics. I also saw a Thing and the cool ole ragtop in the following pic. Check out that tray in the next photo.



Just down the road a piece, I saw this old 52* Chevy Sedan Delivery. Not much rust and might do well at the rod run. Oh, to have my brother's toy budgets.

In the same yard, I saw about 15 early 70's Cutlass parts cars and this flat fender.

This one was in the garage of the same yard. I have more pics of these I will post under a "Cars I Saw On The Road" post at a not to distant date.

I saw this big bull outside the Pike County Fairgrounds.

And I saw this chicken, made entirely of automobile bumpers just down the road.

This is a cool old bridge, built in 1920 and 21 to honor the 57 men from Dale County, Alabama, killed in WWI. It is the first concrete reinforced bridge to be constructed in Alabama, at a cost of $92,108.97. When the new bridges were built on 231, this one was saved and is a state monument. By the way, bus, it crosses the Pea River.

And on to Dothan where they have this 3 foot tall peanut outside the visitors bureau, comemmorating Dothan as the Peanut Capital of the World. I thought I saw that in Georgia sometime a week or two ago. I'll check my notes and get back to you counters on that one.

So that is it for today. As I mentioned, not really exciting, alot of windshield time and no nature at all. But we just have to follow the Numbers.

With a Nod Of The Head to the horse rancher, I am staying the night in a $31 hotel room at the Scottish Inn in Lake City.

Will head down to TampaTown and see BigBrotherBob and then head over to the Birthplace of Speed to sleep in my own bed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey big brother...glad to know that you are once again in the Sunshine Stae AGAIN....the bull and the rooster you saw are something the 8th Lees laughed about on our recent journey thru the south. I am surprised that you missed the 2 CJ2A jeeps in south Dothan Ala....thoght for sure you would have picked up on those...and how did you miss the bone yard of classics from the 60's north of Dothan....if the lottery gods stop at my home...we will be road tripping to southla...
back to reality...there are so many examples of classic Detroit iron thoughtout the south it becomes a guy like us forget the Farrah poster of our youth....just give me a couple of flat beds and a large toy budget...
thejeepjunkie

Busplunge said...

John, disregard my advice about 'tightening up' your blog, I wasn't referring to the writing, I was referring to the white spaces between the writing and the pictures.

You got an easy read here and interesting.

Brought the CJ2A to my private mechanic today, I got the parts, master cylinder, brake shoes, wheel cylinders and lots of brake fluid. He will fix the front oil seal and I got a carburator kit coming tomorrow. I will have about a buck sixty in brake parts not counting labor.

Tried to match the paint today, it ain't tan, it is almost john deere green. Sold an old carb off the 53 Chevy pickup for 25 and used that to buy two pints of mixed automotive paint trying to find the right 'harvest tan'

I will end up painting it john deere green with paint from the farm supply store.

Jim

Busplunge said...

ps--- watch out for those scotish ships!

Lil Jim said...

How does a colorblind shop for a matching paint?