Saturday, July 9, 2011

On The Road Denver Edition: The Downtown Drive About

Dateline Denver, Colorado; July 9, 2011

So as this olelongrooffan has shared with those of you Counting Along With Me, I am spending a few weeks here in The Mile High City to help Big J and the even Bigger Elle do some renovations on their new to them home.

Well, I arrived late on Hump Day this past week and spent most of the day Thursday hanging around their cool ass garden apartment but I was able to get out and about and find the World's Largest Concrete Cowboy while cruising in Big J's Westfalia, Filmore.

As an aside, Big J's Westie did not derive its name from the CARS movie, although that reinforced that decision, it was named after the dude from whom it was acquired, Filmore. Fitting.

So anyway, I spent Thursday recovering from that travel day and spent a brief time becoming acquainted with Filmore.

On TGIF, which doesn't really mean alot to this olelongrooffan as every day is a Friday or a Monday or a Wednesday to me these days....but anyway on Friday I set out to find the building department for The Mile High City to get some questions answered about the property that I am afixing to remodel. All of the google-ing I could find sent me off to a particular address in the downtown district of The Mile High City. So this olelongrooffan set off with Filmore leading the way....



As always, this GPS deprived longrooffan had absolutely no idea where I was going, notwithstanding a brief google maps search. I am of the opinion that any map is only as good as the person preparing it so I tend to allow myself sufficient time to "Misdirect Myself", not get lost but to just settle in and get my bearings as to where I am and what is in close proximity to what I am looking for.



So, of course, I get to the downtown section of The Mile High City and one of the first things this olelongrooffan spots is this giant purple bear leaning against the wall of, I think, the Denver Civic Center. Of course, I had to whip into a city owned parking lot, beat the ticket master and grab a parking spot to walk across the street to gather this image. Somehow, I think God, whoever She may be, will not banish me to Purgatory for that three free minutes of parking time.



Just down the street I come across this cool sculpture in front of the actual building I was looking for.  And, no, I am not talking about that ubquitous fire hydrant.



So, this olelongrooffan and Filmore are still cruising around downtown and spot this duo wielding niece Sarah's favorite means of transport. Those equines looked pretty buff and I quickly made my leave of them.



And in front of another municipal building, the Denver Art Museum maybe, I spotted the cleaning woman's special sculpture.



And this olelongrooffan thought it especially appropriate that the Great Wall Chinese Food restaurant was located in this classically restored building in the greater downtown area.



I did spot this cool old Cathedaral...yeah, it's been awhile since I have spelled that word...in the area. It was so huge I missed capturing the complete steeple of it. My sincere apologies.



And just after I spotted those two horsemen for the second time, I spotted these two bovine resting comfortably on the lawn of yet another public building.



But by far the sweetest sight this olelongrooffan had seen that day, thus far, was overlooking Sloan Lake at the Rocky Mountains off in the distance. And this is three short blocks from Big J and Bigger E's place.

And again Counters, hanging here in The Mile High City is cool as h*ll and I know this olelongrooffan, while I am here, will be able to

Celebrate Life.

2 comments:

Horse-farmer said...

I've been to Mile High a few times, never did see any of the items you posted.....
are you sure your in Denver CO?
well maybe I never saw them because I never left the "Eisenhower highway system"
good blog
tom

Brayden Good said...

Appreciate you blogging thiss