Saturday, January 3, 2009

A Sign Of The Carpocalypse

Another thing I observed out at the Speedway today, but forgot to mention in my last post, is the subject of this blog.

One of the blogs I check in with regularly is Jalopnik. They, along with the Hemmings blog and justacarguy have given me a shout or two in the life of By The Numbers. One of the things Jalopnik did was to coin the term Carpocalypse. Difficult to get my tongue around, but it refers to the current state of affairs of the US automobile industry. The term was even recognized by the New York Times, but, hell, even I scooped them.

Anyway, this past fall, right around the birthdate of this olelongrooffan, while my brothers and a bunch of others were off busy doing a whole bunch of other important stuff, I attended a VW show right here in the home of the World's Most Famous Beach.

On the way back to the Taj Mahal that day, I spotted this truck parked in front of the Daytona International Speedway and scurried on over to get a shot or two. Oh, and on that link, did ya see me waving at you?

Anyway, in that post, I made an observation about the return of Chevrolet for the 2009 race season.

Normally, every year, the Speedway would get the current issue pickups and SUVs for their fleet.

This year, however, GM did not get upgrade them to the 2009's as has been the case for years running.

The image below shows either the same truck or its near identical twin.



Hoping things get better in Detroit and around the, not just automotive, world.

Still hanging on to the oleragtop and the olestationbus for now, though.

In them, it is so easy for me to

Celebrate Life.

No comments: