Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hey Kid, Sorry I Broke Your Jeep

How do you apologize to a 16 year old Kid for the fact you busted up his favorite ride and made it inoperable?

So, as I mentioned, I was the one behind the wheel of the Kid's Classic CJ5 when that old, ready-to-break clutch cable went. I apologized profusely to both the Kid and thejeepjunkie and the Kid's response was, always, "All is Good, We'll get it fixed." And know that while I felt bad, two things enter into these thoughts to relieve my anxiety. One, that cable was ready to go, even thejeepjunkie commented on it on a day we spent together last week, Yeah I know that blog is due. Second, as I was rocking the Kid's CJ back and forth, thejeepjunkie and the Kid were there watching me and nodding their heads up and down in acknowledgement of my actions. But, still, a bummer this happened under my 'watch'.


Earlier this evening, I called thejeepjunkie to see exactly what parts were needed for the repair I caused.

He answered with a "Let me call you right back". My response, "Bye." Surprisingly, he called me back just a few minutes later. "Hey jeepjunkie, how are things over there?" He responded that for a bit it was tense and then he told the "If you didn't drive these things in the woods, this wouldn't happen"sungoddess, "Look, I could have as a hobby hanging with the guys in some sports bar or play rec basketball with a bunch of crack heads or I could choose to spend time with my son out enjoying things we both like. What do you want?" He told me things cooled off considerably after that assertation. "What are you doing John John?" I told him I was surfing for parts and how are things going for you? "Well, the Kid and I are getting along well removing this transmission but you and I sure work well together and the Kid needs to see how that works." Ed, do you want me to come over? "Well, if you don't mind....." See you in 15, jeepjunkie

And I headed that way. That's what you do. If a brother's relationship can help a 16 year old evolve, especially a Lee, that's what you do. I only wish I had known that at 20 years of age!!

So I arrive and the Kid is up there removing the bolts attaching the transmission housing to the engine block. As always, when there are several Chiefs around and not enough Indians, things get a bit terse, but as the Kid says, "All is Good." So after thejeepjunkie realizes the twin motor mounts won't be enough to support that motor, after the transmission is removed, and he decides we should strap it up, "Just in case", we removed that tranny and "All is Good."

But just to let all of you Counting Along With Me, this gaping hole in the floorboard of the Kid's CJ5 is because of a

a failure of the part shown here.

And the damage done. Click on this image and see all the bent up stuff on this pressure plate.

So, we rolled the Kid's CJ out into the driveway, those boys cleaned up the tools used and we got on the net to find the stuff needed to get the Kid's CJ off road ready.

And, I am confident, regardless of thesungoddess's opinion, thejeepjunkie, the Kid and the longrooffan are going to continue to head off road in these toys and, also, will continue to

Celebrate Life.

4 comments:

Busplunge said...

Reminds me of my younger days when my wife's brother Sam and I replaced the clutch on his Chevy one ton on the side of the road in Louisianna.

We straddled a ditch and worked underneath. All went as expected until it was time to re-install the transmission, we didn't know about a clutch pilot hole alignment tool (aka broomstick).
It took us awhile but we got it put back together.

Now you know the origin of the phrase, "We'll just jerk that tranny out and slap a new one in there."

Busplunge said...

reading my comment---

two things I remember. We had to take the seat out of the truck and Sam and I would take a break by sitting in the seat on the side of the road and drink Miller ponys.

The other thing is we were so broke we were counting our change.

The CDM said...

Ah, the last few posts remind me of my brother-in-law's off-raoding days. I miss those because it was a chance for me to try and break his trooper. You should have seen some of the shit we went through with that thing. Ah, memories.

d5thouta5 said...

Jim, I remember that story about you and Sam and thought about it as I laid down on the wet ground looking to see what the problem with the kid's jeep..."can I fix it here" was what I was thinking.....and can I fix it before dark....all for naught as help soon arrived and we made it home....but I did envision forest repairs 2 miles off the paved road.
remember I had one stuck and another broke....where were you and TC in my time of need.....