Saturday, September 25, 2010

Well, Counters, I Can't Believe It!

So this olelongrooffan has been on the job as a dishwasher for Bethune-Cookman's cafeteria for nine working days.

During this time I have been referred to as a "grain of salt in a huge pepper shaker", "the 'token' whitey", "the best ice getter yet", the "You are the only guy I am working the wheel with", and finally got a "F*ck Mr. John" from the man I refer to as "thecrazyguy", much to the amusement of my co-workers. But that latter comment would only be a problem if the guy was respected by anyone. But "thecrazyguy" works his b*tt off, even though he always talks to noone in particular.

But it is all fun. This olelongrooffan takes no offense because "I Have A Job." And I can always get a laugh from them by some comment they have not heard before.

"My Momma didn't raise no fool" is one. Especially when that comment is followed up with "Well, she did, but it is my brother!"

Well, yesterday as this olelongrooffan was working the Detroit induced, never ending "wheel" full of dirty dishes with Cat, who likes all things with that name, (I actually call her girlie even though she is represents nothing girlie, which, of course, is why she has that name and even likes it)....anyway, the Big Boss, Miss Roberts comes around the corner, hollers my name and I turn to her. She says, "Come see me in my office when you have a moment."

Of course, "Yes, Miss Roberts," immediately comes out of the mouth of this olelongrooffan.

Cat says, "Somebody saw you steal that biscuit from the bakery room."

"Girlie, if someone saw me steal that biscuit, I would be in Miss Roberts office right now."

TheCrazyMan says " Are you parked in the right place?" See what I mean?

Anyway, having spent many years in personnel management, I knew something was up and this olelongrooffan didn't believe I was in any trouble.

Hold on, it is 9:45 on a Saturday evening and the fireworks are going off down on the beach and this olelongrooffan needs to step outside to take a moment to Celebrate Life.

Counters, this olelongrooffan is back. Man!! That is a cool show and it lasts about fifteen minutes, every Saturday night. Always a joy to see although I don't particularly like fireworks on a first hand basis.

So anyway, the girlie and this olelongrooffan are working the "wheel" and finally a lull in the action occurs and she tells me to go see what Miss Roberts wants.

And I do.

Miss Roberts brings me into her office, closes her door, and, at this time, I mention "Why do I feel that I am getting called to the Prinicpal's office?"

And she just cracks up laughing. And I mean a hearty, big black woman eminating, deep throated laugh.

"Now I know why everyone likes you."

What a compliment from my Boss of nine days.

The jist of the conversation is that she wants to know if this olelongrooffan likes working?

"Well, Miss Roberts, I hate standing around looking for something to do."

"Mr. John," yeah, she calls me that too, "Mr. Williams and I want to move you into a superviser position in the dish room and work through both shifts. Is that something you are interested in?"

My reply was, "Miss Roberts, whatever you tell me to do, I'll do it. If you would like me to wash pots (the lowest of the low), I'll do it. Clean ovens for Chef Pam, I am there. I am just happy to have a job."

"That's what I thought," she replied.

So we get to chatting it up about our backgrounds and just, generally getting to know each other.

"Miss Roberts, while this olelongrooffan is just a total rookie in this industry and, while I have a great deal of knowledge about the Hispanic culture, I have not worked with, basically any, African Americans, I have made a few observations. In the construction industry, I was always looking to contain costs.

May I relay to you a couple thoughts?"

"Please do," was her response.

So I mentioned a few things that could contain costs and they were well received by her and, I believe, may actually be enacted a short time in the future.

One of the things I mentioned was the exorbanent use of paper napkins by those college students.

Miss Roberts commented that those kids waste a bunch of napkins.

I commented that if the napkin dispensers were removed from each and every table and relocated to a more central location, off of each table, the use of those paper napkins would, most likely, diminish.

After all, do you Counters remember when there was a chrome napkin dispenser on every table at a fast food establishment but now they are centrally located?

What works for McDonald's would work for Gourmet Services.

This olelongrooffan suggested it happen between Thanksgiving and Christmas break so there would be definitive period of time to record any savings. Plus, if you did it tomorrow, the kids would recognize the change and complain, but after their return from Thanksgiving break they probably wouldn't even notice.

I take my leave of Miss Roberts, as she has tons of stuff to do that has nothing to do with this olelongrooffan and return to the dish room.

So I got back there and offer my hand to the girlie saying "It has been fun but I am outahere."

She looks at me in wonderment and I can't help but to break up laughing.

She asXed, sorry justed getting into the lingo, she asked me what Miss Roberts wanted.

As the girlie has been at that cafeteria for pret-near four years, I was reluctant to tell her.

But I did.

She said, "You takin' it, right?"

"Well, girlie, I feel bad, you been here four years and I've been here a week. I kinda feel bad about it."

Her response? "Are you stupid, Boy? They didn't offer it to me cuz they thought you could do a good job! Get all over it!"

So that was it. The one who rules over the dish room just gave me her approval.

But this olelongrooffan was worried about the two young men I worked with, Speedy and Happy, so named by me, and the names of whom were approved by the girlie. Yeah, either of these dudes could kick my *ss to the curb without breaking a sweat.

As it turns out both of them are excited as h*ll for me as they don't have to accept any more responsibility.

"Just let me know what you want me to do, Mr. John," was each of their responses.

Now, the interesting part of this, (at least to this olelongrooffan) Miss Roberts has not made an official announcement of my new duties. The only person to have told anyone is my girlie.

And today at work, all the staff in the dish room came to me to look for what to do next.

And know Counters, this olelongrooffan had the knowledge to suggest their next duties.

So here this olelongrooffan is, the dish room supervisor for the cafeteria at Bethune-Cookman University and with just another reason to

Celebrate Life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your going places boy.......

If that dish room girl okays you...
well you got it made.

Always glad to hear from you,

hey got any jobs open?????

But hell, I could keep up with the conveyor on a good day, more less an average day....

Thanks for keeping us informed....
tom