Sunday, September 12, 2010

Maximum Corvair Day - Daytona Beach Edition

Over at Hooniverse, the UDMan has done a series of excellent posts on the Corvair show he attended this weekend up in the Bay State. With all respect to him, this olelongrooffan thought I would submit a trio of rear engine powered Corvairs I saw at the Spring Fling down here in Daytona Beach last spring. But my fellow Hoons will need to make the jump to see them.


At Bellair Plaza, I spotted this highly customized Gen 2 Corvair (oops, this one isn't air cooled or rear engine) sporting a water cooled front engine GM product. If memory serves me correctly, it was a 350 small block but as I am not as mechanically inclined as many of my fellow Hoons, this olelongrooffan has no problem with being corrected. It sure showed out nicely and had a great stance and sound. While I was out at the Daytona International Speedway for the swap meet held out there twice a year, I spotted this Corvair based dune buggy. I did not know, prior to this, that the Corvair was utilized in this way. I lamented the fact that over 21 million VW's were produced, vs. just over a million Corvairs, and why would you bastardize a rare Corvair in this manner?
Over in the area where the race car drivers park their motorcoaches during a race, this "Scooby Van" was spotted. Above is a full frontal shot of it.
The Greenbriar did have some pretty cool wire wheel covers that seemed to fit the feel of this van.
The cockpit had the same feel as my Falcon Van with the front crumple zone being your legs.
And while this is not an ULTRA VAN, there were some built in cabinets and it appeared to have been slept in out there in the infield of that speedway.
Of course, with a full frontal, we definitely need to see the full rear view also.
This olelongrooffan thinks this is one of the coolest name plates from any American manufacturer to this point. I even have one hanging on my wall as garage art.

No comments: