Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Night At The Races

So, earlier this week, thejeepjunkie made a few well placed phone calls and called me up. "Whatcha doing longroof?" Just blogging some jeepjunkie. "Well, longroof, feel like running an errand?" Sure jeepjunkie, what do ya need? "Well you need to head out the the NASCAR credentials trailer and pick up your credentials good from now through the Daytona 500!! Yeah jeepjunkie I can do that. I really can. So I did.

As I entered the parking lot out at NASCAR USA Headquarters, I noticed this shorter in stature gentleman in a straw hat getting out of an everyday, pedestrian Mustang convertible. Not all souped up, not decaled out, not loud, just an everyday rental type automobile, but with Gary Yeoman Ford badging on it. I did a double take and it was Jack Rousch with a very attractive, age appropriate blonde female driver, heading to the same credentials trailer as I was. I guess even the big wigs need to claim their credentials in person, same as lowly old me. Inside that trailer, conversation was centered around the chill in the air the previous few nights and Mr. Rousch commented he was glad it was chilly as so many of the woman in attendence in that trailer looked great in their sweaters!! Of course, all sorts of giggling ensued from all of the women there. Jack and and I were the only guys in that trailer, and when he said that, I spun around and looked at him, with a grin from ear to ear and he just gave me a wink and a nod of the head. A quick salute to him and I was out the door, ready to cheer on his team even more!!

So, anyway, apparently, the disappointment of not being able to attend the Rolex 24 last month really got to thejeepjunkie and he went all out to get us a couple of unlimited access passes to the remaining 4 wheeled speed weeks. And, Man, was he successful!!

Last nite, thejeepjunkie and I hooked up at a convenient midway point and I followed that budlite filled cooler into the Kid's CJ5 and thejeepjunkie and I head on down to watch the Bud Shoot Out.

I gotta tell ya, this is the HOTtest ticket I have ever had, bar none. thejeepjunkie and I knew we had something but we weren't sure what until we pulled up to the entrance to the garage area and Mr. Security waved us on through. After we dodged a couple ARCA transporters leaving, we pulled up to the entrance to pit road, parked and waltzed right in.

Of course, not good for grandstand seating. Really, that's okay.

So here we are down on pit road watching the spectacle that is the Bud Shootout, and just wandering around. I headed over to the garage to check out the newest driver for Joe Gibbs racing.





Got a few shots of tires along pit road..

This one is from Tony Stewart's new team, whom, incidentally, I did not previously know, snagged Office Depot as a sponsor from Carl Edwards and Jack Rousch Racing!! Ouch!!

Down, literally, on pit road, here is Jimmie Johnson, his hot blonde, Chad Knaus and another team member during the National Anthem. It was kind of cool, during the singing of it, the microphone for the girl singing kept cutting in and out but the whole crowd in the grandstands and later, the crowd in the pits, kept singing it without missing a beat and, well, it was rather touching to this patriotic old man.

Mikie Waltrip's NAPA team.

and again during the break after the first 25 laps.

This is Scott Speed's wrecked Red Bull Car. Although a successful Indy Car driver, he is a NASCAR rookie this year.

Another shot of Scott's primary and, in the foreground, backup car.

And now, just a couple random videos,

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Here thejeepjunkie and I are over in tent city looking up the backstretch from turn 3 waiting,

and waiting

for this, and yes it was worth it.

Well, all I can say is thanks to thejeepjunkie for getting so exasperated at not being able to attend the 24 Hour race and making the effort to get these sweet tickets. Can't wait for the Twin 125's on Thursday!!

Thanks Bro for getting what we desire to help us to

Celebrate Life.

4 comments:

Horse-farmer said...

Perfect, kept looking for you along pit row, but the t & v didn't show much pit row activity as in a reg race.
It was good on t&v, so must have been great to be there..

enjoy the 125s, we'll be looking for you.....

Anonymous said...

some guys have all the luck!

Jason said...

You lucky son of a gun!

Horse-farmer said...

Yeah yeah yeah, so youse was dere, so whats

Can you name the car in my latest blog??????

Enjoyed the race, but didn't see you or Jeep in the pits.... or well, I guess you were in the pits with lots of lites..............
enjoyed