Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What I Saw Today

So, this olelongrooffan was returning from the sponsor of the #48 race car and spotted this in the parking lot of the sponsor of the #19 race car.

I was out at that big box retailer because my locally owned hardware store did not stock a sorely needed piece of air conditioning ductwork Manuel Labor and this olestationbus owning dude needed to relocate an a/c vent in the thoroughly enjoyable home of one of the sweetest Octogenarians I have yet to meet. Her little sister, a youthful 73, is just as sweet.

Oh, by the way, if you are wondering why I have racing on my mind, click here.

So anyway, I whipped in that lot and got a few images of this.

It is a first generation Oldsmobile Toronado, sadly, now an orphan car. But this beauty was extremely technologically advanced when introduced in 1966. This body style lasted, until a major redesign, from 1966 to 1970.

It is a long hood, short rear deck, retractable headlight bearing, Gentleman's Muscle Car.

The drum brakes, as shown in this photo, on all four wheels would make this a virgin year '66 as front discs were introduced on the '67's. According to this source, the brakes on this year were extremely overwhelmed, hence the discs on later models.

Yeah, this was a beauty and I recognized it from 100 feet away while passing that parking lot near the Kid's house.

And, while sorry about the quality of the following image, check it out,

Do you see what is missing?

It is the transmission hump down the center of this interior. Yep, that old sweetie is a front wheel drive, the first one produced stateside in a long, long time.

And getting a What I Saw Today post and being able to share it with you Counters, lets me

Celebrate Life.

1 comment:

Busplunge said...

My association with Tornados is the GMC motorhome of the same year--1966 1970 that shared the front wheel drive train of the tornado. those were ahead of the time in their day, fiberglass, fuel efficient and air bag suspension.

You had a picture of one on what I saw today earlier in your blog.

I'll get one someday.

Maybe.