Saturday, July 26, 2008

On The Road In The Longroof

Well Counters, I sit here in the Welcome to Mississippi center at the Louisana border, grabbing a sandwich and letting the olelongroof have some much needed rest. She has been a work horse and, so far, has not given me one major problem.

I owe all of you an apology. I was hoping this trip would be similar in nature to On The Road By The Numbers. Unfortunately, the mechanicals on the oldlongroof aren't quite up to my thoughts of what they would be. As such, stopping is a real challenge and major urban, even suburban, driving is out of the question. I stop for gas, oil, brake fluid, check the coolant, and I am back on the muchmaligned, by me, highway Eisenhour built. For the needs of On The Road In The Longroof, it is perfect. I guess I will have to wait for another time to show you the 60' statue of Ronald Reagon in the library plaza somewhere in central Louisiana.

Pierre took a shot of me with my new olelongroof outside its previous home. I am thinking that tomorrow you will see it at its new home on the World's Most Famous Beach.

Below are a few shots of the olelongroof in roadtrip form. I did not include a shot of the stockpile of vital fluid the olelongroof needs for this run.

Those tires, sheets and pillows for that mattress standing edge against the driver's wall.

The atlas on the passenger seat has not been opened once. It is I10 all the way to the east coast and down...come Jerry Reid where are ya when I need ya?

The rear of the olelongroof on this roadtrip. Double click to see what's in the rear window.

Yeah CDM, I know, flying 1,100 miles to pick up a 45 year old car and drive it sight unseen to its new home. I could have had it shipped for the same amount of money I will probably spend but what fun is that? Also, as you have previously mentioned about me, "Ignorance is Bliss".

Thanks to you, the dirtsister and lil jim for your comments.

See ya'll later as I have to get back

On The Road In The Longroof.

3 comments:

d5thouta5 said...

What an adventure you are on..Sounds like the trip of a life time, however you and I have been on a few of those already...old vw type 1 beetle...keep watching the fluid levels..those are vital to survival...Scott and Big Jim say hello and have been as interested in your trip as I...can't wait to get my hands on the ole long roof...sorry, just the way I am...
after your last audio, sounds like you have some seal issues...did you remember a rain suit????..well, talk to at the Fla-Ala border...

Anonymous said...

There's a country song here, a blend of On the Road Again, vintage Jerry Reed, and Free Bird. Sex it up with car talk: stripped nuts and fluid levels. You've got a hit.

The CDM said...

Dude, are you kidding me? I'd do it in a heart beat. This post takes me back to the days of my Porsche 914 and its mechanical questionability. Oh, the stories I could tell you about the road trips in that thing, including the ones to Houston/Galveston...I better quit, I'm getting misty.

ROCK ON!!!