Tuesday, April 16, 2019

What I Saw Today: A Tin Can Tourist

There are times when this olelongrooffan is out and about checking out some of the “went here and saw that” kind of stuff that I have historically seemed to find on a pretty regular basis.

And sometimes some of that stuff is cooler than others. The other year I had one of those “cooler than others” kind of days. Well at least I think so. It’s possible some of you Counters may agree.


Yeah, I had just grabbed an elcheapo burger from that place named after Dave’s grand daughter and headed down to a place in the shade to scarf that burger down with an equally as cheap diet Coke when I spotted this “Tin Can Tourist” nonchalantly parked under yet another portecachere at a local overnite establishment.


Of course that burger and sodie pop were immediately set aside as I knew that the opportunity to capture these images may not survive my eating frenzy and this olelongrooffan decided to grab these images while the gettin’ was good.


When I first stumbled upon this caravan, my first thought was of Bus_Plunge and his PrvtRN and their equally as shiny Airstream and near vintage BigBlueBurban. However, I soon realized this was no simple Airstream. No, it was much more rare than that.

Yeah, latched onto the ass end of the 36 Caddy Fleetwood was a Spartan Manor. TheGentleman Farmer and my Mom had a similar vintage Spartan out on their property in Halltown, MO, just off Route 66 for a period of time and it was as cool as this one. That one, however, was as big as Lucy and Desi Arnez’s Long Long Trailer, not nearly as nimble as this wide white wall Coker shoe wearing beauty.


This one had porthole windows in the doors, one on each side by the way, along with the square and rectangular windows showcasing the work of the tradesmen (and women?) who constructed this Manor back in the day.Those folks, back in the day, down in nearby Tulsa, Oklahoma were proud enough of this beauty to tag it with their hometown and product name right on the ass end for every one of we Counters to see to this day. Yeah, no faded decal for these folks.

And while this rig hails from Colorado, someone, somewhere, thinks a lot of the Corpus Christi area enough to mention the port and its profit along with that personalized tag on the tow vehicle.


“I coulda had a V8.” This olelongrooffan is sure this question has been asked before but is “Fleetwood” one of the longer running name plates? And why doesn’t Cadillac have one in its stable today? This olelongrooffan would suspect that even the millennials swilling coffee at the marketing headquarters of Cadillac in NYC would recognize that nameplate. But then what the hell does this olelongrooffan know? I just know that Fleetwood has a lot more history to me than does, what is it these days? CT6? or whatever.

But I do have this to say about that. I never knew the AACA was founded in 1935, a year prior to the birth of this classic Fleetwood.


And while I peeked through the front windows of this classic tin can and spotted the very same burled maple wood paneling that adorned Mom and Pop’s Spartan, I just didn’t feel comfortable taking an image of that paneling. It is someone’s home away from home.


But this olelongrooffan did enjoy seeing this cool ass hood ornament.

It was a cool sighting and I hope those of you Counting Along With this olelongrooffanenjoyed seeing it as much as I did. 

No comments: