Thursday, April 26, 2012

On The Road: What A Week It Has Been

So it was last Friday this olelongrooffan climbed into the passenger compartment of this big ass truck to accompany my boss on his delivery of a couple trailers and then pick one up in Elkhart, Indiana and drag it back here to the Birthplace of Speed for delivery to its ultimate owner. Well, when we got up to southern Georgia just a bit later that day, it was realized that trailer had not been constructed per specification and the new owner told my boss to "build another one." So the boss set that up and we continued on to the Hoosier State unencumbered by a trailer behind that big ass truck. As a result of not needing to meet a schedule for th delivery of that wrongly built trailer, we ended up having a leisurely ride up I-75 and this olelongrooffan was even ble to talk the boss into stopping off to tour the National Corvette Museum. And he agreed!! Now usually when the boss gets on the road, it is all destination driven and forget about the journey. Now this olelongrooffan cannot deny that Corvette museum was pretty damn cool. There were a bunch of historic Vettes there and it was a nice visit. But the coolest damn car I spotted that day was this 52 Desoto longroof. It was beautiful and I absolutely loved it. Reminded me of grandmother Moo's 53 from way back in the day. So after a quasi-leisurely drive up to the cold ass confines of northern Indiana, the boss and this olelongrooffan checked some of our sold product to be shipped out to parts unknown. The above trailer is a carbon copy of one this olelongrooffan sold durig BikeWeek. One of my cohorts sold this one and we will never see this one again. In addition to there being about 400,000 trailer manufacturing plants the greater Elkhart area, there were a whole damn bunch of these buggies around. Proud to state most of the plants we buy from have Amish folk as the bulk of their employee roster and they do a jam up job. But suffice it to say that if you drive one of these buggies around, this probably is as close as you are going to get to owning a collector car. This is off a 48-49 Cadillac Sedanette, by the way. So the big ass trailer we were due to pick up wasn't quite ready on schedule so the boss and this olelongrooffan had a day to just kill time in. I was successful in getting him to shuttle me out to a local vintage junkyard to d some snooping around. That is where I spotted this cool ass Studebaker Champ pickup, well what remains of it anyway. And just around the corner I spotted a vintage Mercedes 450 SLC. My boss at my first job out of college had one of these and I still love them to death. Apparently I am not the only one who feels this way as this one is dead but nearly complete. A tad bit later, I spotted a Belvedere that had REMOVE NO PARTS written on the fender of it. So of course, I didn't. I did spot a beautiful one of these at Fortunato Park last Turkey Run Weekend. And this COE is what started this whole adventure. As this olelongrooffan has been a passenger on this, thus far, 2,200 mile trip, Ihave spent my entire time looking out the window to see what could be seen. Just south of our final destination, I spotted this ole COE from my perch in that bg ass truck an filed that memory away for future reference. This olelongrooffan is sure glad that I did so. I just had to capture this image of this ole CJ for thejeepjunkie, Bus-Plunge and the Kid. I know it is not a CJ2A but it is the even rarer sister, a CJ3B. Yeah, I know silly crap like this that will never earn me one red cent. But I do Celebrate Life. And in memory of my Mom's passing and her birth around the endof April, I ha to include an image of what was one of her, self proclaimed, favorite cars. Yeah it is either a Pontiac T1000 or Chevrolet Chevette. Mom had one of each back in the day and Iam fairly confident this one missed the crusher by the hair on its chiny-chin-chin. And of course what is a trip to a junkyard without gathering up some art for the walls of the Taj Mahal? See, I told you that Mercedes was almost complete. In addition to the aforementioned vehicles, I spotted this Cadillac Flower car that I need to further determine its provenance. And this one, a twin to my first longroof, down to its 17" wheels So, we finally picked up that big ass trailer and headed back to te Home of The World's Most Famous Beach. But not without first encountering some truck traffic in the mountains of Tennessee. And this olelongrooffan is still not sure what the hell that riverboat is doing in that highway side retention pond. But all is well. That big ass truck towing that big ass stacker car hauler, the boss and this olelongrooffan are now less than 4 hours from my Taj Mahal and I can't wait to finally, sleep listening to the surf pound the Alantic shore as I fall asleep this evening. Then tomorrow? Sell some trailers dammit! But as I have been doing, this olelongrooffan will still

Celebrate Life.

*prepared on a bumpy ass I75 in the middle of the Peach State so likely full of typos and formating errorxs.

2 comments:

Horse-farmer said...

finally the cabover.........

to have powerball money and restore it ...

thanks
tom

Anonymous said...

Why isn't the COE posted over at Hooniverse's Truck Thursday (or did I miss it)?